[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 16-bit graphics on IIsi?

ejb@think.com (Erik Bailey) (04/15/91)

Howdy! I read in the latest issue of MacUser an interesting fact that I did
not know -- you can add a $199 VRAM module to allow the Mac LC to display
16-bit graphics.  That's quite a bargain for 65536 colors instead of 256!!!
Anyway, the question is, can I do the same with my IIsi (5meg RAM, Apple
13" color monitor, if it matters)?

Please respond via e-mail if possible, but I'll also check this group for
replies. Thanks a bunch! --Erik

      Erik Bailey       | 7 Oak Knoll         | Thinking Machines Corp.
      ejb@think.com     | Arlington, MA 02174 | 245 First St.
      harvard!think!ejb | (617) 643-0732      | Cambridge, MA  02142
          /earth is 98% full. Please remove any excess inhabitants.
--

ejb@think.com (Erik Bailey) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.054032.9760@Think.COM> I wrote:

>Howdy! I read in the latest issue of MacUser an interesting fact that I did
>not know -- you can add a $199 VRAM module to allow the Mac LC to display
>16-bit graphics.  That's quite a bargain for 65536 colors instead of 256!!!
>Anyway, the question is, can I do the same with my IIsi (5meg RAM, Apple
>13" color monitor, if it matters)?
>
>Please respond via e-mail if possible, but I'll also check this group for
>replies. Thanks a bunch! --Erik

Well, I got quite a response to this question -- thanks to all those
who replied!!! The answer, for those of you who may be wondering, is that
the LC and the IIsi do built-in video differently.  The LC uses special
VRAM, which can be expanded.  The IIsi uses system memory, and is limited
to 8-bit graphics. The only way to expand the IIsi's graphics is with an
add-in card (btw -- the Apple 8*24 GC card DOES work with the IIsi -- as
long as the ambient temperature is < 90 degrees. Shouldn't be much of a
problem).

On that note, that highlights the inherent weakness of the IIsi -- the
single slot.  Does anyone know if there exists/is in the works a 24-bit
card (preferably, but not necessarily, with accellerated graphics)
combined with a hardware accelerator (e.g. a 68040)? I know that's a lot
to ask, but anyone that could make such a beast would sure sell a bundle
of'em!

That's it for now... Again, thanks to all who replied! --Erik