[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SCSI Hard drive cases: SUMMARY

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr7.043302.29907@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> I wrote:
  >Can someone recommend a mailorder supplier for SCSI cases w/ power
  >supply that I can install a 3.5" Quantum 80MB disk in?   Also, I'd
  >like a source for various SCSI cables, mac power cables, e.g., a
  >dual power cable & dual SCSI ribbon cable to install a second disk
  >in a Mac2.   I've called a few mailorder disk vendors, but they don't
  >want to sell empty cases.

From SELUCEY@vaxsar.vassar.edu
  In answer to your question about HD cases... try 1-800-CLUB MAC.  I've had
  good luck with them in the past (built my own mac.)

  As for ribbon cables, etc., the cheapest way to go is with 50 wire ribbon
  cable and IDC crimp on's (try JDR Microelectronics... don't have the number
  handy.)

From: kent@visix.com (Ken Turner)
  I know a vendor, Frog Systems (1-800-654-frog), that deals in low-price mac
  hard drives.  You might want to call them and see if they'll sell
  you any of the parts you mentioned.  If you're talking quantity, then
  manke sure you mention numbers and I'm sure that will help :).

From: Alan R. Fry <afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
  Sun Remarketing, Inc. has something called BYOD (Build Your Own Drive) SCSI
  Kit for $59 + $6.67 shipping.  It includes case, power supply, fan, switch
  and all the internal cables.  You will have to supply your own SCSI cable
  and drive.  You can call SRI's "24-Hour Order Line" at 800 821-3221.

  As for cables and connectors, you can try JDR Microdevices at 800 538-5000.
  A quick check reveals internal SCSI cables run about $4.95 (catalog #
  CBL-SCSI-IDS) and 3.5" drive power calbes are $2.95 (catalog # CBL-3.5).  I
  would recommend ordering their catalog before ordering to make sure you are
  getting what you want.  By the way, JDR has gobs and gobs of other cables
  such as Appletalk, modem cables, phone-net connectors, AC power cables,
  monitor cables, etc., etc.  I haven't done price comparisons, but their
  prices seem okay.

From: paryavi@cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi)
  here is where I buy these things from:  ICPS  1-913-776-1845

From: ntg!dplatt@apple.com (Dave Platt)
  Try calling Tulin (Santa Clara, CA, I believe... area code 408);  they
  have a whole line of cases.  I believe that Relax Technologies
  (415-471-6112) sells internal and external drive kits.  Also, VCP
  Computer Products (800-447-6350) has these kits (internal $25, external
  $109), as does Mac Solutions (800-969-6227... internal from $29,
  external from $95).

  I was under the impression that APS (800-233-7550) would sell individual
  drive components as well as complete drives.

From: rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez)
  Relax, Club Mac, and (I think ) HDI all sell $99 cases for hard drives
  as you require.  I'm going to do it myself eventually, so let me know
  if you have any luck...

From: stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett)
  Club Mac will sell a box for $100.  You'll have to ask them about
  software, cables, etc.

P.S.  I bought a disk case from Relax (phone 415-471-6112; first place I called
that would sell me one) for $119.   This included all that I needed sans the
hard disk (scsi cable & terminator, screws for disk & holes, decent fan,
power supply looks okay, external scsi selector & 50-pin scsi plugs).  Oh, you
should know where to plug the wires into your hard disk, as no documentation
about that was included.   Works fine with the "stiction'ed" disks that I've
had to replace but that still spin up once in a while.

                          -- Don
--
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert@bio.indiana.edu