[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Jasmine ColorVue Monitor - $399?

willdm@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William D Moore) (04/11/91)

Has anybody heard anything about this new Jasmine ColorVue Monitor, advertised
in the newest issue of MacWorld?  I'm thinking of upgrading to an LC and I
am reviewing my monitor options, so I would appreciate anybody relating their
experiences with this particluar product.  I know Jasmine has had trouble
in the past but have heard that their trying to make a comeback.

Thanks in advance

Will @ Pitt

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) (04/12/91)

In article <113795@unix.cis.pitt.edu> willdm@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William D Moore) writes:
>Has anybody heard anything about this new Jasmine ColorVue Monitor, advertised
>in the newest issue of MacWorld?  I'm thinking of upgrading to an LC and I
>am reviewing my monitor options, so I would appreciate anybody relating their
>experiences with this particluar product.  I know Jasmine has had trouble
>in the past but have heard that their trying to make a comeback.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Will @ Pitt

I called up Jasmine, and was told that it effectively was the equivalent
of the Apple 13", except that it was 1 inch bigger, and a lot cheaper.
I asked for spec sheets, and those are still to arrive.
I don't know if it is as a Trinitron, and there are no dealers
to demonstrate the monitor around here (I think that monitors should be
seen before bought...bad business move for Jasmine if it can;t do demos).
Supposedly, a resolution of 640x480? Anyone else know wnything?

-rich
Richard Sucgang : Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
Columbia University (sucgang@cuhhca.hhmi.columbia.edu;
de slime god         rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)

gerhard@cs.arizona.edu (Gerhard Mehldau) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.232824.20108@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) writes:

> I called up Jasmine, and was told that it effectively was the equivalent
> of the Apple 13", except that it was 1 inch bigger, and a lot cheaper.
> I asked for spec sheets, and those are still to arrive.
> I don't know if it is as a Trinitron, and there are no dealers
> to demonstrate the monitor around here (I think that monitors should be
> seen before bought...bad business move for Jasmine if it can;t do demos).
> Supposedly, a resolution of 640x480? Anyone else know wnything?

I got my copy of the spec sheet a few days ago.  I'm posting the contents
for the benefit of other netters -- I don't have any connection whatsoever
with Jasmine (not even as a satisfied customer).

- Gerhard

CPU:		Compatible with Macintosh, IBM PC

CRT:		Size		    14"
		Deflection	    90[degrees]
		Mask Pitch	    0.31 mm dot pitch
		Face		    Non-glare

Display:	Resolution	    640 x 480
		Character Cell	    9 x 16 dots
		Viewing Area	    9.45" Wide x 7.08" High
		Colors		    16 to 256 simultaneous

Video:		Input Signal	    RGB Analog (38 MHz Bandwidth)

Synch:		H & V		    31.5, 35.2 KHz (H); 50, 60, 70 MHz (V)

Power:		Voltage, Current    120VAC, 60 Hz, 1.2 Amps @ 80W (max)

Warranty:	1 Year Parts & Labor

The Jasmine ColorVue[TM] monitor gives you the same 256 simultaneous color
capability as Apple's new "low cost" monitor, plus a larger screen surface,
non-glare coating, swivel & tilt architecture, at the cost of a monochrome
monitor.

-> Gerhard Mehldau
   Dept. of Computer Science	internet: gerhard@cs.arizona.edu
   University of Arizona	uucp:     {cmcl2,noao,uunet}!arizona!gerhard
   Tucson, AZ 85721, U.S.A.	voice:    +1 (602) 621-4632

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (04/13/91)

In article <1788@optima.cs.arizona.edu> gerhard@cs.arizona.edu (Gerhard Mehldau) writes:
>I got my copy of the spec sheet a few days ago.
>
>CRT:		Size		    14"
>		Deflection	    90[degrees]
>		Mask Pitch	    0.31 mm dot pitch
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ouch, be careful with a dot-pitch that large.  Most VGA quality monitors
are on the .28 mm side of things, and a really sharp Trinitron is
looking at .25 mm.

I bought a MacSync that had .28 mm, and found it to be way too fuzzy for
my liking.  My Seiko CM1445C with .25 mm dot-pitch is terrifically
clear.  As good as the Apple RGB, imho.

In article <1991Apr12.173555.7409@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>I bought a MacSync that had .28 mm, and found it to be way too fuzzy for
>my liking.  My Seiko CM1445C with .25 mm dot-pitch is terrifically
>clear.  As good as the Apple RGB, imho.

Same tube, isn't it?

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr13.211921.22331@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>>I bought a MacSync that had .28 mm, and found it to be way too fuzzy for
>>my liking.  My Seiko CM1445C with .25 mm dot-pitch is terrifically
>>clear.  As good as the Apple RGB, imho.
>
>Same tube, isn't it?

Yes, it's a Sony Trinitron (to the best of my knowledge).  And for a
fair amount LESS than a Sony 1304, I get the same quality.

[I haven't popped the case to check this for sure, but it does have the
 usual Sony 'tension mask' line in the bottom 1/3 of the screen.]

--
| Paul Jacoby, 3M Company, St. Paul, MN  55144-1000   |              |