[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple Trade Up Event ??!!

fri0@quads.uchicago.edu (Christian E. Fritze) (04/17/91)

I opened up the school newspaper and see a tantalizing ad from our computer
store which asks

Are you tired of your old computer? Watch this space for an important
announcement

(this is from memory, donUt remember exact words). But the interesting thing is,
the backdrop graphic for the ad says

Apple TradeUp Event

What is this? Anyone know if this will mean an economical way to trade in my SE
for something bigger and better?
--
Christian E. Fritze                   |                            AOL:geneman
University of Chicago                 |               fri0@midway.uchicago.edu

jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu (Jeff Wolman) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.201053.1610@midway.uchicago.edu> fri0@quads.uchicago.edu (Christian E. Fritze) writes:
>I opened up the school newspaper and see a tantalizing ad from our computer
>store which asks
>
>Are you tired of your old computer? Watch this space for an important
>announcement
>
>(this is from memory, donUt remember exact words). But the interesting thing is,
>the backdrop graphic for the ad says
>
>Apple TradeUp Event
>
>What is this? Anyone know if this will mean an economical way to trade in my SE
>for something bigger and better?
>--
>Christian E. Fritze                   |                            AOL:geneman
>University of Chicago                 |               fri0@midway.uchicago.edu
>Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology   |   "No one ever died of laughing" -M.B.
>--

Here at Washington University, we've got the Apple Trade-Up Policy occuring
here next week (April 22-26).  Basically, you bring in your old machine, in its
ORIGINAL system configuration (so if I wanted to trade in my SE/30 5/40, I
would have to take out the 4M of RAM that I added (Who wouldn't?), to make it
into its original 1/40 config.), and they will check it out.  If it passes
inspection, which requires you bring in EVERYTHING that came with it (cables,
mouse, manuals, power cord, etc., otherwise they will deduct replacement costs
for the missing items), and they will give you a voucher good for discount on
the purchase of a new Mac.  A couple of examples that I remember off hand:

		Mac Plus (1M, 1 800K disk drive):	$200
		Mac SE/30 (1M memory/40M HD):		$1400 (or so)

Go into your dealer, and get a packet describing the promotion.  BTW, the are
also taking in IBM's, Compaq's, HP printers, and a couple more non-Apple
brands.  Check with your dealer for further details.

|     Jeff Wolman           | The moral of the story is:              |
|  (314)862-2900/889-5097   |     Never underestimate the bandwith of |
|   jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu  |     a station wagon full of magnetic    |
|   AOL: JeffW15            |     tapes hurtling down the highway.    |

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr17.011522.28577@cec1.wustl.edu>, jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu (Jeff Wolman) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.201053.1610@midway.uchicago.edu> fri0@quads.uchicago.edu (Christian E. Fritze) writes:
>>Apple TradeUp Event
>>
>>What is this? Anyone know if this will mean an economical way to trade in my SE
>>for something bigger and better?

>Here at Washington University, we've got the Apple Trade-Up Policy occuring
>here next week (April 22-26).  Basically, you bring in your old machine, in its
>ORIGINAL system configuration (so if I wanted to trade in my SE/30 5/40, I
>would have to take out the 4M of RAM that I added (Who wouldn't?), to make it
>into its original 1/40 config.), and they will check it out.  If it passes
>inspection, which requires you bring in EVERYTHING that came with it (cables,
>mouse, manuals, power cord, etc., otherwise they will deduct replacement costs
>for the missing items), and they will give you a voucher good for discount on
>the purchase of a new Mac.  A couple of examples that I remember off hand:

	At UCLA they're going that one better.  The "official" policy,
which I believe came from On High at Apple, stated that students could only
buy one computer per lifetime.  Since I'm running a Mac+, I felt sort of
screwed (please, no flames - I'm happy with it, I just would like something
faster, which didn't exist when I got the + !)

	Now, however, "one per person per lifetime" has been changed to
"one per person per two years" - meaning that I can now get a new Mac!  How
'bout that?  Eat your hearts out...  :)

  John Price                   | Internet: price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | SPAN:     uclapp::price
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

timm@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Tim McClarren) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.011522.28577@cec1.wustl.edu> jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu (Jeff Wolman) writes:
>Here at Washington University, we've got the Apple Trade-Up Policy occuring
>here next week (April 22-26).  Basically, you bring in your old machine, in its
><more stuff deleted>
>
>		Mac Plus (1M, 1 800K disk drive):	$200
>		Mac SE/30 (1M memory/40M HD):		$1400 (or so)

	Here is a quick and easy way for enterprising students to make
a little cash (if they have enough capital).  At UI the trade-up event
took place at the Micro-Order Center inside the student union, a building
which has free access for all individuals.  Take a bunch of cash with
you to the locale (if it's not private property) where the Apple Trade
Up event is taking place and offer $25 bucks more to each person than
Apple does.  If a customer is going to trade-up, they'd probably rather
take the cash from you and buy a new Mac as a student anyways, as they'll
come out ahead.  Since you're buying the Macs for less than street value
(as compared to BoCoEx), you can resell them and come out ahead.  Apparently
some students did this here.
-------------
Tim McClarren
NCSA/UI

billr@misg.csd.harris.com (Bill Rominger) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.011522.28577@cec1.wustl.edu> jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu (Jeff Wolman) writes:
+In article <1991Apr16.201053.1610@midway.uchicago.edu> fri0@quads.uchicago.edu (Christian E. Fritze) writes:
+>I opened up the school newspaper and see a tantalizing ad from our computer
+>store which asks
+>
+>Are you tired of your old computer? Watch this space for an important
+>announcement
+>
+>(this is from memory, donUt remember exact words). But the interesting thing is,
+>the backdrop graphic for the ad says
+>
+>Apple TradeUp Event

>Here at Washington University, we've got the Apple Trade-Up Policy occuring
>here next week (April 22-26).  Basically, you bring in your old machine, in its
>ORIGINAL system configuration (so if I wanted to trade in my SE/30 5/40, I
>would have to take out the 4M of RAM that I added (Who wouldn't?), to make it
>into its original 1/40 config.), and they will check it out.  If it passes
>inspection, which requires you bring in EVERYTHING that came with it (cables,
>mouse, manuals, power cord, etc., otherwise they will deduct replacement costs
>for the missing items), and they will give you a voucher good for discount on
>the purchase of a new Mac.  A couple of examples that I remember off hand:
>
>		Mac Plus (1M, 1 800K disk drive):	$200
I will offer $300 COD for the above configuration in the listed condition.

--
This product is intended for use as an intellectual exercise. Any deliberate
concentration and ingestion of its contents may cause blindness or insanity!