[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Fax Modems-Abaton

dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/18/91)

In article <10669@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) writes:
> I am looking to buy a fax modem.  Now, there are many, many modems out there
> and most of the Fax modems now send and receive.  However, I am not clear on
> some of the features.
>
> I am looking for a reasonably inexpensive, sending and receiving fax modem.
> It should be at least 2400 baud and fax at 9600.  Now, here is where I run in-
> to the strange territory.  There are many modems that do what I mentioned
> above, but how about the error protocols like MNP etc?  Do you throw all
> that away when chosing a fax?  There was one or two whose ads mentioned that
> they had it but the price shot up $200 or so.
>
> Is anyone using a fax modem which they'd recommend?  The ones you almost always
> hear about are the Dove and the Teleport, and occasionally the Interfax.

Here's the scoop on the Abaton Interfax 24/9600 -

The data features of the modem include MNP through level 5, 2400 bps.
As a modem it is pretty much "plain."

As a fax, most of the features are in the software that is included.  It can
send and receive at 9600 bps.

As far as the software for the fax goes, here is how it works (the manual
thick, so this is sketchy)
There are several parts to the software: a CDEV, a chooser document, and the
Interfax application.
The CDEV sets up the fax at startup, and monitors the phone line and serial
port when it is not in use by something else.  It lets you configure how the
fax auto answers, tells you what sort of fax schedule you have set up, and a
couple of other things.
The chooser document is the tool that you use most of the time to create a fax.
When you get done typing, drawing, or otherwise creating a document, you pick
the Faxmaker from the chooser and "print" the document to create a fax to be
sent when you like.
The Interfax application is a utility that performs many functions such as
converting faxes and other type of files between each other.

(From here on out, it is my opinion of the product)
The device itself is rugged, well built, and on the whole top-quality.  It has
a good selection of activity indicator lights.  It does seem to generate a lot
of heat though.
The weakest point of the whole package is the faxing software.  Learning to
use it and the modem efficiently as a fax is not an easy task.  In addition, I
ran into a couple of problems (not 7.0, thank you) setting up the
CDEV that involved a couple of bus errors.  I finally solved it with some
experimentation. Futhermore, it requires 6(!!!) files to be placed in the
system folder. This is entirely unacceptable. I hate applications that do this.
You are allowed to set up incoming and outgoing folders for faxes though.
The documentation is pretty bad ( but then, who's isn't?).  There are about 70
pages of instructions and another 20 pages included on disk that are bugs and
addendums (addenda?).
Even though you can dump any document you can print into a fax file, the procedure
is pretty cumbersome. Especially if you print a lot of things. You keep having
to switch back an forth between chooser devices.  I am sure this would be
different for people with different Mac usage styles.
As a receiving fax,it is superb.  The reception is usually transparent even
without multifinder.

Here is my advice as a consumer:
If you want a fax modem primarily to receive faxes, get a GOOD one.  Don't go
the budget route. You will pay for it in the software.
If you plan on receiving/sending at a ratio of something like 1/10, you might
not mind a lower end one.

I paid $289 dollars for mine mail order. I bought it primarily because of the
high ratings MacUser gave it.

--
Rob Dewhirst
Sysop: The MacRocosm BBS - (913) 841-9446 < --Best route

"A computer without a modem is like a sportscar without wheels --
it's fun to sit behind, but it won't take you anywhere!"