[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIsi Hard Drive "Feature"

rickk@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) (04/09/91)

Hi net gurus!!
   I have a question regarding the Mac IIsi hard drive and figured
that somone on the net would have the answer.  It seems that my drive
has a power-down "feature" as it shuts down after about 2 minutes of
inactivity (of the drive, NOT the mac).  Is this normal?  Should the
timeout be this short?  Better yet... How do I disable this "feature"
completely?  It reduces the effective speed of the machine, since I
am constantly waiting for the drive to spin back up.

Thanks
Rick Klaus
rickk@hp-vcd.hp.com

P.S. I did look through the manuals and can find nothing about this.

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (04/10/91)

In article <1170028@hp-vcd.HP.COM> rickk@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) writes:

   Hi net gurus!!
      I have a question regarding the Mac IIsi hard drive and figured
   that somone on the net would have the answer.  It seems that my drive
   has a power-down "feature" as it shuts down after about 2 minutes of
   inactivity (of the drive, NOT the mac).  Is this normal?  Should the
   timeout be this short?  Better yet... How do I disable this "feature"
   completely?  It reduces the effective speed of the machine, since I
   am constantly waiting for the drive to spin back up.

There is an init called SCSISaver that does just what you described.  Check
you System Folder and see if it is there.  No, it is not normal for a hard
drive to spin down after 2 minutes.  Your problem must be caused by
something added to the standard system (i.e. the system sw as it come from
Apple does not support any kind of SCSI spin down), -OR- may be a hardware
problem.  Does the hard drive spin back up if you access the drive?  Hope
this helps,

=Mike
--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (04/11/91)

In article <YEE.91Apr10120731@katana.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:
>In article <1170028@hp-vcd.HP.COM> rickk@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) writes:
>
> ...  It seems that my drive
>   has a power-down "feature" as it shuts down after about 2 minutes of
>   inactivity (of the drive, NOT the mac).  Is this normal?  Should the
>
>There is an init called SCSISaver that does just what you described.  Check
>you System Folder and see if it is there.  No, it is not normal for a hard
>drive to spin down after 2 minutes.  Your problem must be caused by

Where does one get SCSISaver?  I would like my drive to power down after
about 10 minutes of inactivity and have been looking for a way to do
this.  Does it work with any drive?  I want this to work with a Conner I
got from a IIsi that now lives inside of an SE/30.

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of

u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Michael Harlow) (04/11/91)

In <848@treehouse.UUCP> andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) writes:

>In article <YEE.91Apr10120731@katana.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

>Where does one get SCSISaver?  I would like my drive to power down after
>about 10 minutes of inactivity and have been looking for a way to do
>this.  Does it work with any drive?  I want this to work with a Conner I
>got from a IIsi that now lives inside of an SE/30.

Do you really mant to do this ?
My understanding is that the most dangerous time for a HD is power up and
power down. (Other then solid jolts whilst spinning).  This is because on
some drives the heads come down and rest on the surface, or have to be
retracted by the drive as its power dies. Drives last longer when they are
left to spin.

--
| Michael Harlow          |  u855203@bruny.cc.utas.edu.au             |
| GPO Box 1201,           |  u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au          |

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (04/12/91)

> >Where does one get SCSISaver?  I would like my drive to power down after
> >about 10 minutes of inactivity and have been looking for a way to do
> >this.  Does it work with any drive?  I want this to work with a Conner I
> >got from a IIsi that now lives inside of an SE/30.
>
> Do you really mant to do this ?
Why not?  Apple does it with their MacPortable.  For the Portable there
is a CDEV utility that lets you select the amount of time on drive inactivity
before the drive shuts off.

The MacPortable uses Connor mechanism and I think that their drives are
made to handle being turned on and off regualarly.

> My understanding is that the most dangerous time for a HD is power up and
> power down. (Other then solid jolts whilst spinning).  This is because on
> some drives the heads come down and rest on the surface, or have to be
> retracted by the drive as its power dies. Drives last longer when they are
> left to spin.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (04/13/91)

In article <848@treehouse.UUCP> andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) writes:
   Where does one get SCSISaver?  I would like my drive to power down after
   about 10 minutes of inactivity and have been looking for a way to do
   this.  Does it work with any drive?  I want this to work with a Conner I
   got from a IIsi that now lives inside of an SE/30.

	You can get scsisaver via anonymous ftp from mcsun.eu.net.

	=Mike
--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development
= Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142

xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/16/91)

The reason that the HD spins down on the portable is to save battery power
I can't think of a good reason to keep turning the HD on and off on a
desktop machine except when it's going to be moved....

Steve Fuller
XDPQ8@vaxf.cc.iastate.edu

sigurasg@rhi.hi.is (Sigurdur Asgeirsson) (04/18/91)

In <1170028@hp-vcd.HP.COM> rickk@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) writes:

>Hi net gurus!!
>   I have a question regarding the Mac IIsi hard drive and figured
>that somone on the net would have the answer.  It seems that my drive
>has a power-down "feature" as it shuts down after about 2 minutes of
>inactivity (of the drive, NOT the mac).  Is this normal?  Should the
>timeout be this short?  Better yet... How do I disable this "feature"
>completely?  It reduces the effective speed of the machine, since I
>am constantly waiting for the drive to spin back up.

  A friend of mine bought a IIsi, when he got it the internal 80Mb drive was
defective, so he took it back and had the HD replaced.  When he got the mac
back it had the same "feature" you mention.  The "repairman" told him that
he replaced his HD with one from another IIsi, 80Mb low profile HD's being
in short supply at the time.  Eventually they replaced the HD again and the
"feature" went away.  Incidentally, his HD would spin down after one minute,
almost to the second, of inactivity.

	Sigurdur Asgeirsson
	sigurasg@rhi.hi.is

--
|  Sigurdur Asgeirsson  |  In UNIX everything's possible, the  |