[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Drive info - SUMMARY of responses

biswa@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Biswa Ghosh) (04/21/91)

I received an overwhelming total of 2 replies to my query two weeks ago
about buying an external hard drive. Here they are. Many thanks to
John (jhi@ocf.berkeley.edu) and Dave Platt for your detailed replies!

-Biswa Ghosh

From jhi@ocf.Berkeley.EDU Wed Apr  3 15:45:47 1991
Subject: Re: Hard drive - Request for info.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware

>(1) What should I buy? I have a quantum now, it's reasonably quiet, and

I don't remember which one, but MacUser or MacWorld just did a comparison
on hard drives.  From what I remember, the lps is the new low-profile
drives by Quantum.  They are 1/3 height and draw less power.  They are also
faster than the other Quantum drives.  However, it seems that you only
notice this speed difference if your computer is an SE/30 or faster.
Otherwise, the drive is the same 12ms as the other drives.

Find some back issues of the magazines.  It was either Feb or later.

>(2) Where should I buy (mail order)? So far, APS has been highly recommended,

I got an 80mb internal from APS.  I think I got this when people were just
beginning to notice the company.  So far, no problems.  I realize now that
I took a risk, 'cause the company could have gone under.  I would be wary
of companies that sell drive for much less then APS.  Their profit margin
is probably pretty slim, so they may not be around to honor that warranty.

Actually, I think Quantum will still honor warranties if the company you
bought the drive from is no longer around.  I'm not certain, but it's worth
checking into.

>(3) Formatting software - Have heard great things about SilverLining on

I use the software that came with my drive.  It does hard partitioning, and
I haven't had any problems so far.  I've also heard great things about
SilverLining.

>(4) Should or shouldn't the driver be terminated? Also, since the drive

Apple recommends external termination.  I prefer switchable termination,
which some companies are now using.  Internal termination is a pain if you
have more than one SCSI device and are trying to track down a termination
problem.  Also, if you take out the resistors, you may bend them in the
process, which means you can't use them if you need them later.  External
termination is nice, but if you don't need the terminator block, there's
a chance you may lose track of it - you may need it at a later time.

Hope this helped.

- John

From ntg!dplatt@apple.com Thu Apr  4 13:56:33 1991
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware

In article <41579@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> you write:

>Here's my questions:
>(1) What should I buy? I have a quantum now, it's reasonably quiet, and
>reasonably fast. Are there problems with the current crop that I should
>worry about? Are there better values out there?

I've heard that there's a quirk in the new Quantum 105 LPS drives (an
incompatibility with some formatting software).

Quantum drives are "jellybeans" these days... they're a commodity item,
with lots of competition... it's a buyer's market.  They're probably the
best bang-for-the-buck choice at the moment.

>Even in the Quantums, there seem to be two types. What's the difference?
>One's called pro, the other plus; or one has no special designation, the
>other has the suffix 'lps'. In both cases they are 12ms drives, but the latter
>costs over $100 more.

The standard or "Pro" drives are 3.5" half-height drives... if you're
buying an external drive, these are the ones to get.  The Pro and LPS
indicates that the drives are low-profile (1/3 height) and/or low-power
models suitable for internal mounting in the Classic, LC, and si
machines.  There's no reason to prefer these in an external
configuration, as far as I know.

>(2) Where should I buy (mail order)? So far, APS has been highly recommended,
>but they are not the cheapest (~ $80 higher). Can you tell me other safe
>places to buy?

ClubMac and Third Wave also have good reputations.  I've heard bad
things about Hard Drives International.

>(3) Formatting software - Have heard great things about SilverLining on
>the net. The ads make no mention of formatting software. Is this something
>I should worry about? Is it worth buying separately? Will I have problems
>if I don't buy formatting software?

You'll get formatting software with the drives from any of the above
companies.  It tends to be adequate, but may lack some of the bells &
whistles of SilverLining (i.e. you may not be able to change the size of
your disk partitions without backing up, reformatting, and restoring
your files).

The questions to ask, when you call the vendor, are "Does the software
support multiple, true SCSI partitions on a single disk?  Is the driver
fully reentrant, and thus compatible with System 7's virtual-memory
paging capability?  Do you provide free updates to your formatter/driver
software?"  If the answer to any of these is "No", look elsewhere.

>(4) Should or shouldn't the driver be terminated? Also, since the drive
>will be external, are there additional pieces I should worry about?

It should be sold _with_ an external terminator, and _without_ an
internal terminator.  Ideally, it should have an easily-accessible set
of DIP switches, or a rotary switch, with which to set the SCSI ID.

--
Dave Platt