[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Serial Port In Use

os@primerd.prime.com (04/22/91)

In comp.sys.mac.hardware "debeste@bgsu.edu" writes:

>I have a macintosh that claims that its modem port is in use 'by
>another application' whenever I try to access the port, via a terminal
>emulator.  I have tried rebooting the mac, turning off appleshare and
>zapping the pram, all to no avail.

>I recall that about 2 years ago, some people had similar problems
>after running MIDI software, and that a utility is available to fix
>just this problem.  I have looked around sumex, the BMUG CD, and the
>NYMUG CD, all to no avail.

>I would appreciate any pointers to this utility, or any other way to
>solve the problem.  I would rather not replace a motherboard, which is
>the dealer's suggestion.

I'm posting this answer from Gary Greene <ames!zip.Convergent.COM!garyg>
who is having trouble posting or getting to the net:

The utility you are referring to is (I believe) called @ResetPorts 1.0.0.
I had the same problem and tried the same solutions to no avail. Finally,
I found RP online, downloaded it, ran it, and viola!  My source was
America Online in the Industry Support section.  Look in the Farallon
folder.  Their sysop has placed it in the New Software download section of
their folder.  I don't know where it might be on Compuserve or any of the
others and unfortunately I can't e-mail it to you as I can't, at present,
get things from my Mac at home onto this machine at work (network to modem
connection has gone south).  If we get it fixed I'll make an attempt if
you can't find it someplace else.

Cheers,

Gary Greene
Unisys/Convergent Technology