[comp.sys.mac.hardware] RGB cabling to IIci / Multiple monitors

jclesius@bbn.com (Jeff Clesius) (04/18/91)

Does anyone have any experience creating cables to connect non-Apple
RGB monitors to the built-in video port on the Mac IIci?

I currently have a Radius 19" TPD display hooked up with an interface
card as the main monochrome monitor and would like to also add an Amiga
1080 RGB color monitor as a supplementary display.  The salesperson at
the computer store indicated that when hooked up, the monitor on the
built-in connector should show up in the control panel in the monitor
setup.  However, even with both monitors connected, only the Ra
dius display appears in the control panel setup.

I believe that it has something to do with the cabling.  I have connected
the CSYNC, RED, RED.GND, BLU, BLU.GND, GRN, GRN.GND, and the C&VSYNC.GND
lines from the Mac to the monitor.  How do I hook up the MON.ID1, MON.ID2,
and MON.ID3 lines?  I think that the fact that these lines are not connected
is the reason why it does not show up in the control panel... but I really
can't be sure.  Can anyone help me out with this?

Also, if someone who is currently using multiple monitors could shed some
light as to how to best place them to eliminate cross-interference, it would
be most appreciated.

Many thanks!

Jeff Clesius
BBN Systems and Technologies
50 Enterprise Ctr.
Middletown, RI 02840
(401) 849-2543
jclesius@bbn.com

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (04/22/91)

jclesius@bbn.com (Jeff Clesius) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience creating cables to connect non-Apple
>RGB monitors to the built-in video port on the Mac IIci?

From Tech Note #144:

"Macintosh IIci built-in video requires that pin 4 (SENSE0) be connected to
 Ground to signal the connection of a 640 x 480 monitor.  Do not connect
 pins 7 or 10 as they are unused on original Macintosh II Video Cards and
 there are built-in pullup resistors on the Macintosh IIci to terminate these
 pins when not in use."

In a nutshell:  Connect pin 4 to pin 14.

(Note that the above also applies to connecting a display to a 4*8 or 8*24
card as well.  I simplified the above since the issue at hand is a IIci.)

>I currently have a Radius 19" TPD display hooked up with an interface
>card as the main monochrome monitor and would like to also add an Amiga
>1080 RGB color monitor as a supplementary display.

Hmmm.  Is this a 640x480 display that is timing-compatible with the Apple 13"?
If not, it probably won't work, even if you have the "proper" cable.

>...when hooked up, the monitor on the built-in connector should
>show up in the control panel in the monitor setup.

Yep, if everything is set up right, it will do just that.

>How do I hook up the MON.ID1, MON.ID2, and MON.ID3 lines?  I think that the
>fact that these lines are not connected is the reason why it does not show
>up in the control panel... but I really can't be sure.

You can be sure.  If the Mac can't sense the monitor type, it disables the
IIci's built-in video altogether.

>Also, if someone who is currently using multiple monitors could shed some
>light as to how to best place them to eliminate cross-interference, it would
>be most appreciated.

Depends on the monitors being used.  If one is an Apple 13", then the monitors
should be placed about as far apart as the cables will allow, unless you have
some extra lead shielding laying around...  :-)  With other kinds of monitors,
your actual mileage (between the monitors) may vary.

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----