[comp.sys.mac.hardware] StyleWriter

dls@po.CWRU.Edu (David L. Sherrets) (04/14/91)

I found Stylewriters for $369.  If anyone has a better price please
send me some E-mail.  Used is OK too.

						Dave Sherrets
						dls@po.cwru.edu
Thanks in advance.

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr14.020233.9168@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> dls@po.CWRU.Edu (David L. Sherrets) writes:
>I found Stylewriters for $369.  If anyone has a better price please
>send me some E-mail.  Used is OK too.
                       ^^^^

Wow! Used Stylewriters so soon!

-rich
Richard Sucgang : Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
Columbia University (sucgang@cuhhca.hhmi.columbia.edu;
de slime god         rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)

warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) (04/18/91)

I would like to start a thread on the new Apple printers.
(if this already hasn't been talked about!)

I'm interested in a personal/home printer for my //ci.
I have access to a Laser printer, so I can bring documents
in on disk and print them, but I want to be able to do so at
home.  The new Apple StyleWriter seems perfect for this, but
its new and I want to hear what people say about it.

I'm not too particullay worried about speed.  Although
the stylewriter is SLOW, it is entirely dependent on the
computer's CPU, so a //ci should be much speeder than
printing from a Classic.  What about HP's inkjets?

I've also heard that the Stylewriter does not use the
spooler which could be a big disadvantage if it is as
slow as I think it is.

Let's hear from some Stylewriter owners!

**  Robert Warden                          warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu   **
**  University of Pennsylvania                                          **
**                                                                      **
** "Even a broken clock tells the time correctly twice a day"           **
**                                            - Withnail & I            **

chips@sail.labs.tek.com (Chip Schnarel) (04/18/91)

Hi,

I'm interested in the StyleWriter, but am concerned about the speed.  Everyone
has been posting that it is SLOW.  How does this compare to the ImageWriter II?

Second question:  I have recently upgraded to the TrueType INIT and new printer
drivers on my SE/ImageWriter with system 6.0.7.  The result is that printing in
"Faster" mode is now MUCH slower, printing in "Best" hangs (or exceeds my
patience
capacity).  My question is this - Is the StyleWriter inherently slow, or is the
speed the result of the new printer drivers?  Or is my problem unique?  Have
any
others out there tried this configuration?

Chip

Chip Schnarel
Tektronix, Inc.
chips@sail.labs.tek.com

TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) (04/23/91)

I have been running my style writer for about a month now and have been fairly
happy with it.  I believe that the drivers are part of the slowness problem
with the printing, though my style writer runs about as fast as the imagewriter
 II on my SE/30.  TrueType seems (not a big jump...) to run faster on some of
the test versions of System 7.0 that I've seen. I have had no problems with
printing smudges or otherwise after 200 pages. There has been little noticible
difference in the ink quality either. Keep ya posted!

                                               Todd