[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What are possible IIsi memory configurations?

bst2948@cec2.wustl.edu (Bryan Sauhsung Tung) (04/20/91)

	How many memory slots does the IIsi have and what size chips can be     installed in them?  Also, do all the slots have to use the same size chips?

Thanks!

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr20.053243.24346@cec1.wustl.edu> bst2948@cec2.wustl.edu
(Bryan Sauhsung Tung) writes:

>	How many memory slots does the IIsi have and what size chips can be
>installed in them?  Also, do all the slots have to use the same size chips?
>
>Thanks!

The IIsi has four simm slots and 1 meg soldered.  All of the simms must be
the same size, and all of the slots must be filled.  The following
configurations are therefore possible:

SIMM number & size		Total Memory

0				1 meg
4 @ 256K each			2 meg
4 @ 512K each			3 meg
4 @ 1 meg each			5 meg
4 @ 4 meg each			17 meg
4 @ 16 meg each			65 meg

The 16 meg simms are about $2000 each, so you might want to consider just
buying a nice new IIfx instead. :-)

For some good information on simms see the April 1991 MacUser.

Cheers,

Alan

	|  Alan R Fry                     |   You know what I hate?    |
	|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |   Rhetorical questions     |

siri@otc.otca.oz (Siri Hewa) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr20.053243.24346@cec1.wustl.edu> bst2948@cec2.wustl.edu (Bryan Sauhsung Tung) writes:

>	How many memory slots does the IIsi have and what size chips can be     installed in them?  Also, do all the slots have to use the same size chips?
>
>Thanks!

Si got 1Meg ram soldered,and 4 sim sockets. But..
You cannot leave any one of these sockets empty,ie, you have to use all 4 of
them or none at all.
If you use 1 Meg simms,then you have 1+4=5Meg.
"      "   0.5"   "    "     "    "  1+2=3Meg.
"      "   4 M    "    "     "    "  1+16=17Meg. (very expensive 4meg ones).

Siri Hewa.

dinapoli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ron DiNapoli) (04/24/91)

In article <13539@ur-cc.UUCP> afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) writes:
>In article <1991Apr20.053243.24346@cec1.wustl.edu> bst2948@cec2.wustl.edu
>(Bryan Sauhsung Tung) writes:
>>

>>	How many memory slots does the IIsi have and what size chips can be
>>installed in them?  Also, do all the slots have to use the same size chips?
>>
>>Thanks!
>

>The IIsi has four simm slots and 1 meg soldered.  All of the simms must be
>the same size, and all of the slots must be filled.  The following
>configurations are therefore possible:
>
>SIMM number & size		Total Memory
>
>0				1 meg
>4 @ 256K each			2 meg