[comp.sys.mac.hardware] keyboard, mouse doesn't work!!

sh2u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott T. Huang) (04/24/91)

Somehow my Mac II doesn't supply enough power to my keyboard and mouse.
My Mac II is fine otherwise. The mouse doesn't respond and when I type
things onto my keyboard, there is no response. Oddly though, I pressed
the power key to start up my computer, and that worked!! Also, if I just
plug the mouse into the ADB port, the mouse worked, but it won't with a
keyboard, and the keyboard don't work alone too.

What's up???!!! Everything seems to work fine, but the computer store
wants to charge me $500 to exchange the logic board!!!!!!!!!!

______________________________________

Scott Huang
sh2u@andrew.cmu.edu
______________________________________

rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) (04/24/91)

In article <Qc5_u1u00aw6M_VUpo@andrew.cmu.edu> sh2u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott T. Huang) writes:
>Somehow my Mac II doesn't supply enough power to my keyboard and mouse.
>My Mac II is fine otherwise. The mouse doesn't respond and when I type
>things onto my keyboard, there is no response. Oddly though, I pressed
>the power key to start up my computer, and that worked!! Also, if I just
>plug the mouse into the ADB port, the mouse worked, but it won't with a
>keyboard, and the keyboard don't work alone too.

Hmm. Sounds like that well known Hardware bug that Apple somehow refuses to fix
rears it's ugly head again, Did you ever unplug your Keyboard or mouse while
the machine was on?  If you did you could have blown the receivers on the mother
board for the ADB bus, and this causes your dealer to say Ahh, you need a new
motherboard.  Apple must know about this (and  must have known about it for
years (as my 4 year old SE did it) but they refuse to do anything, like put lock
ing connectors on the plugs so they won't accidently pull out, or putting some
sort of protection on the circuit.  Come on guys, it can't be that hard, I'm
sure just about any EE could handle it.

                                     - a little annoyed at having to replace
                                       three motherboards, so now all my cables
                                       are duct taped in place

                                                Raman Sarin