[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What are the possible memory configurations of an SE/30?

bst2948@cec2.wustl.edu (Bryan Sauhsung Tung) (04/23/91)

	I've already asked this question about the IIsi, but it seems that the  SE/30 may be a better deal.  How many memory slots does the SE/30 have, and what size memory will the slots take?  Also, do all the slots need the same size memory?  Lastly, is upgrading memory in an SE/30 easy to do?

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.155150.7671@cec1.wustl.edu> bst2948@cec2.wustl.edu (Bryan Sauhsung Tung) writes:
>	I've already asked this question about the IIsi, but it seems
>that the SE/30 may be a better deal.  How many memory slots does the
>SE/30 have, and what size memory will the slots take?  Also, do all
>the slots need the same size memory?  Lastly, is upgrading memory in
>an SE/30 easy to do?

The SE/30 has 2 bank of 4 slots each.  Each bank must be filled with
SIMMs of the same size, and the really ought to be of the same speed
as well.  The SE/30 requires a minimum memory speed of 120ns, which
isn't difficult - most SIMM suppliers sell SIMMs that run at 70-80ns.

Thus, with 256k SIMMs, 1MB SIMMs, and 4MB SIMMs, you have the
following possible combos:

Total RAM	Bank "A"		Bank "B"
---------	--------		--------
1 MB		4 256k SIMMs		-empty-
2 MB		4 256k SIMMs		4 256k SIMMs
4 MB		4 1MB SIMMs		-empty-
5 MB		4 1MB SIMMs		4 256k SIMMs
8 MB		4 1MB SIMMs		4 1MB SIMMs
16 MB *		4 4MB SIMMs		-empty-

Once you start getting into the 4MB SIMMs, however, you run into the
memory limits that are introduced by the lack of a 32-Bit Clean ROM
for the SE/30.  From what I currently understand, you cannot address
more than 16MB of memory space on an SE/30 (or IIcs, or IIx...).  This
includes addressing space used by virtual memory, RAM, System ROMs,
and expansion card.  The sum may not exceed 16 MB.
--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1      + "Pooh hasn't much Brain, but he never
 Ohio State University ACS-FMS-OCES  |  comes to any harm.  He does silly

llvvll@mixcom.COM (James R. Macak) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.181407.23784@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.155150.7671@cec1.wustl.edu> bst2948@cec2.wustl.edu (Bryan Sauhsung Tung) writes:
>>	(several lines deleted)
>	(several lines deleted)
>The SE/30 has 2 bank of 4 slots each.  Each bank must be filled with
>SIMMs of the same size, and the really ought to be of the same speed
>as well.  The SE/30 requires a minimum memory speed of 120ns, which
>isn't difficult - most SIMM suppliers sell SIMMs that run at 70-80ns.

I've read this before about the SIMMs needing to be the same "speed" within a
bank, but never really understood the reason for this. Can someone post an
explanation (avoiding extreme techo-babble)? How much tolerance might be
acceptable relative to the speed difference? I have some 70ns SIMMs... need I
find some more 70ns or will 80ns do?

>Thus, with 256k SIMMs, 1MB SIMMs, and 4MB SIMMs, you have the
>following possible combos:

>Total RAM	Bank "A"		Bank "B"
>---------	--------		--------
>1 MB		4 256k SIMMs		-empty-
>2 MB		4 256k SIMMs		4 256k SIMMs
>4 MB		4 1MB SIMMs		-empty-
>5 MB		4 1MB SIMMs		4 256k SIMMs
>8 MB		4 1MB SIMMs		4 1MB SIMMs
>16 MB *		4 4MB SIMMs		-empty-

In the 5 meg configuration, does it matter if the 1 MB SIMMs are in bank "A"
or "B?" Might there be a speed degradation if the 256 K SIMMs were in one bank
or the other? I thought I had read something about this once upon a time...
(Note this is for a "straight" SE/30 without any card in its slot.)

Thanks.

Jim

--
macak@mixcom.UUCP (James R. Macak)          "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
uunet!uwm!mixcom!macak                       called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"