[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HELP - Mac Classic screen is blank after shipment - HELP

paryavi@cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (04/23/91)

I just shipped a Mac Classic overseas.  When it got there, they plugged it into
a trasformer and here is what happened:  The mac powers on with its
normal beep.  The hard drive starts spinning and makes its normal starup noises.
HERE IS THE PROBLEM:  The screen is completely blank!  Not even a flash of
light!  Nothing at all!

What could have gone wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU

epayne@x102a.harris-atd.com (payne edward 01471) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr23.062606.24120@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> paryavi@cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:

>I just shipped a Mac Classic overseas.  When it got there, they plugged it into
>a trasformer and here is what happened:  The mac powers on with its
>normal beep.  The hard drive starts spinning and makes its normal starup noises.
>HERE IS THE PROBLEM:  The screen is completely blank!  Not even a flash of
>light!  Nothing at all!
>
>What could have gone wrong?

	My SE/30 came that way and it turned out to be the brightness knob
had some cold solder joints that had come loose and made no contact.  They
just gave me a new analog board.  But the Classic doesn't have a brightness
knob.  Maybe the connector to the CRT has come off in shipment: doesn't
happen often but I have seen that also.

Ed

Ed Payne                       |     Harris, GASD     | If I only had more than
epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com    |     Melbourne, Fl    | 3 lines....

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (04/24/91)

In article <6100@trantor.harris-atd.com>, epayne@x102a.harris-atd.com (payne edward 01471) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr23.062606.24120@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> paryavi@cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
|> >
|> >I just shipped a Mac Classic overseas.  When it got there, they plugged it into
|> >a trasformer and here is what happened:  The mac powers on with its
|> >normal beep.  The hard drive starts spinning and makes its normal starup noises.
|> >HERE IS THE PROBLEM:  The screen is completely blank!  Not even a flash of
|> >light!  Nothing at all!
|> >What could have gone wrong?
|> 	My SE/30 came that way and it turned out to be the brightness knob
|> had some cold solder joints that had come loose and made no contact.  They
|> just gave me a new analog board.  But the Classic doesn't have a brightness
|> knob.  Maybe the connector to the CRT has come off in shipment: doesn't
|> happen often but I have seen that also.
Or the tube could have broken. I've seen that too. You need to open the machine
to check for these possiblities.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (04/24/91)

	Sounds familiar. I have had six classics now that have required
the re-seating of the yoke connection to the tube. Its a simple procedure
to fix, but when you have inxs of 10 macs a day to get through., it
becomes a bit of a hassel. So try that one if all else fails.

steve h

dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.062606.24120@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> paryavi@cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:

>I just shipped a Mac Classic overseas.  When it got there, they plugged it into
>a trasformer and here is what happened:  The mac powers on with its
>normal beep.  The hard drive starts spinning and makes its normal starup noises.
>HERE IS THE PROBLEM:  The screen is completely blank!  Not even a flash of
>light!  Nothing at all!
>
>What could have gone wrong?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

>--
>Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
>Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU
>UUCP:      {rutgers, texbell}!ksuvax1!harry!paryavi	Manhattan, KS  66506

Sounds like either a problem with the tube or video circuitry (it could be
the tube lost its air, in which case you have to get the whole TV tube
replaced (around $150)).
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."