[comp.sys.mac.hardware] LW problem: black streaks, replacing toner doesn't help

smcguire@eagle.mit.edu (Scott McGuire) (04/18/91)

We have a very annoying problem here in the Mac lab I administer.  One of
our LaserWriter IINTX's prints black lines down the left side of the
pages.  I know, I know, you're thinking "Replace the toner cartridge!"
But before you think that, let me say that I have replaced the toner
cartridge.  Lots of times.  Lots of toner cartridges.  The problem stops
for a while when I put in a new cartridge - for three or four days - but
then it starts up again.  To provide satisfactory output (most students
are printing resumes and theses) I have to keep replacing the toner
cartidges long before they're at the end of their life (i.e. there's
plenty of toner left in them).

I've talked to the repair people here and they don't have any suggestions.
 Are our LaserWriters doing something to the toner cartridges that cause
them to go bad quickly?  Do we have a bad batch of cartridges (although
we're on a second order of them, they are the same brand - HP)?  Has
anyone seen this before?  Is there something I can clean?

Any help would be appreciated.  I keep hoping this problem will go away,
but it won't.  Thanks!

--Scott
Scott McGuire / Macintosh Support / Sloan School, MIT
Internet: smcguire@eagle.mit.edu  / Bitnet: smcguire@sloan

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.152635.17868@athena.mit.edu> smcguire@eagle.mit.edu (Scott McGuire) writes:

>I've talked to the repair people here and they don't have any suggestions.
> Are our LaserWriters doing something to the toner cartridges that cause
>them to go bad quickly?  Do we have a bad batch of cartridges (although
>we're on a second order of them, they are the same brand - HP)?  Has
>anyone seen this before?  Is there something I can clean?

Check the fuser roller for scoring or any deposits (like oils) that might be
accumulating on the side where the mark seems to be coming from.  You might
also check the rubber roller underneath.  See if the green felt areas are
turning brown from heat.  The other possibility is that the toner cartridge
corona wire (I think that's what it's called) might need cleaning with the
tool that comes in the LW.

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (04/22/91)

You won't like this suggestion... but I had the same problem with my
QMS-PS-810 (same hardware as the LaserWriter II series).  Finally
took it to the dealer -- cost $265 to replace the DC power circuit.
(One month out of warranty -- grrr!)

Works like a charm now.

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Stephen Fleming         |   Within ten years, computers will just   |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  |   be bumps in cables.    -- Gordon Bell   |
|  BIX:  srfleming         +-------------------------------------------|
|  Voice: (703) 847-7058   |   My employer may disagree vehemently.    |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr18.152635.17868@athena.mit.edu> smcguire@eagle.mit.edu (Scott McGuire) writes:
> We have a very annoying problem here in the Mac lab I administer.  One of
> our LaserWriter IINTX's prints black lines down the left side of the
> pages.  I know, I know, you're thinking "Replace the toner cartridge!"

Yes, very annoying.  There are two things that you have to do at once.
1. Use the funny looking green tool in the printer to clean the wire in
the toner cartridge.  You insert the tool in a slot on the cartridge, then
drag the tool along the slot, and then pull the tool out.

2. Look for a thin rubber roller in the printer near a chrome plated shield
on the bottom part of the printer near the end where the paper tray is.  It
will be near all of the diagonal wires.  This roller will have a bunch of
toner on one edge of the roller.  Use a cotton swap to remove the toner
from the roller.

Once you do both steps, your line should go away.  If you do only one
or the other step, the part that you cleaned will get dirty again within
a few printed sheets.

> But before you think that, let me say that I have replaced the toner
> cartridge.  Lots of times.  Lots of toner cartridges.  The problem stops
> for a while when I put in a new cartridge - for three or four days - but
> then it starts up again.

Once you learn this little trick, you can use the cartridges that you
pulled out thinking that they were bad.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john