[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Classic Problems...

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) (04/25/91)

I have four mac classics (2/40) and three of them have problems.  Each of
the three have a different problem.  The first one "freezes" every once-in-
a-while.  The mouse pointer stays where it is and nothing works except for
pressing the boot switch. The motherboard has been replaced and it still
has the problem.  Disenfectant reports no problems.

The second classic won't accept disks.  When you try to insert one, it won't
let you put it in.  Seems like replace the disk drive time but I'm going
to have to wait until the other two are working.

The third classic has a real weird problem.  When you select a disk resource from
the finder, occasionally, the disk name is replaced by a series of 2's or 8's
or D's.  It's like the keyboard has that key pressed down.  The system gives
the "too long" message and when you clik on OK, it starts all over again.
The only way to stop it is to reboot the machine.

Are my experiences unusual?  Have other folks been having similar experiences?
These are all early cassics, bought within the first 3 weeks of the product
introduction.  I've run disenfectant on all the systems with no report of
problems.

Any ideas or information welcome.

Davie Brightbill

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) (04/26/91)

Several folks have written back and asked for more details on these problems...

In article <1991Apr25.152345.21024@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) writes:
>I have four mac classics (2/40) and three of them have problems.  Each of
>the three have a different problem.  The first one "freezes" every once-in-
>a-while.  The mouse pointer stays where it is and nothing works except for
>pressing the boot switch. The motherboard has been replaced and it still
>has the problem.  Disenfectant reports no problems.

This system is running an Omnis 3 application with the database on a server.  It
is connected via phonenet/appletalk.  T he problem happens whether or not the
network is connected.  I've reinstalled the system software (6.0.7) but have
not tried reformatting the hard disk.  The system board has been replaced.
The only inits/cdevs are superclock, gatekeeper, gatekeeper aid.  The problem
has happened in the omnis application and also from the finder.  Oh yeah...it
has After Dark on it and the problem happened once while it was going...The
toasters kept flying but the keyboard and mouse didn't respond.

>The third classic has a real weird problem.  When you select a disk resource from
>the finder, occasionally, the disk name is replaced by a series of 2's or 8's
>or D's.  It's like the keyboard has that key pressed down.  The system gives
>the "too long" message and when you clik on OK, it starts all over again.
>The only way to stop it is to reboot the machine.

This system has superclock, gatekeeper, gatekeeper aid, and I think that's all.
Someone suggested that easy access may be the problem.  I'll check to see if
it's on the system when I get home.  This is just a word processing station
connected via a serial cable to an IW-II.