[fa.info-vax] VAX 11/782

info-vax (12/15/82)

>From Miller@SRI-NIC  Mon Dec 13 04:14:30 1982
To: info-vax@SRI-CSL
Cc: Miller@SRI-NIC
Remailed-Date: 14 Dec 1982 1945-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

A friend of mine is in dire need of information concerning
the memory restraints of the 782.  His local DEC software person
told him that 4 Meg is max, and a meg must be dedicated to each
processor.

	However, at DECUS, other folks told him that it can
8 meg, and there is no requirement to dedicate memory to a
specific processor.

	Can anybody help out here?  Either respond to:

MILLER@SRI-NIC,

	or call:

Rich Barrett
FMC
(408) 289-2043.

	Thanks,

-HWM
-------

info-vax (12/17/82)

>From mark.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay  Wed Dec 15 00:58:15 1982
To: Henry W Miller <Miller@Sri-Nic>, info-vax@Sri-Csl
Via:  UMCP-CS; 16 Dec 82 6:04-EST
Remailed-Date: 16 Dec 1982 2119-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

I heard the actual constraints on the 782 is 12 megs:  Each processor
can address 8 meg max, as usual, 4 megs per memory controller, max
2 controllers per processor.  However, the 782 has two processors
sharing a single controller, so each processor has 4 megs shared
and 4 megs its own, making 12 total.

info-vax (12/18/82)

>From Dale.Moore@CMU-CS-A  Thu Dec 16 09:05:09 1982
To: Mark Weiser <mark.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay>
Cc: info-vax@sri-csl
Remailed-Date: 17 Dec 1982 2355-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

Each processor on a 782 can have four meg per controller.
But our local office says that you can have local non-shared memory
on a processor, but VMS will only use the shared memory.  The
other four megabyte will just sit there, and remain unused.

I should probably look at the sources and see for myself.

This might change on a future release of VMS.