[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Multispool problems

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) (04/18/91)

I've tried multispool with my deskwriter, but it doesn't work:
there's no printer output, and as soon as I press one of the
multispool dialog buttons, I get a crash.

I'm running the deskwriter driver 2.1 on an SE/30 with 5Mb Ram,
system 6.0.5 .
How do I get this to work ?

rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) (04/19/91)

In article <2937@n-kulcs.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) writes:
>I've tried multispool with my deskwriter, but it doesn't work:
>there's no printer output, and as soon as I press one of the
>multispool dialog buttons, I get a crash.
>
>I'm running the deskwriter driver 2.1 on an SE/30 with 5Mb Ram,
>system 6.0.5 .
>How do I get this to work ?

I also have the exact same problem, using multi-spool on a Classic with my
Deskwriter, I didn't bother trying it on my //ci because it's running sys 7.
Why can't apple just get Backgrounder to work with all the printers?

-Raman sarin

mfort@ub.d.umn.edu (Michael Fort) (04/25/91)

I think that MultiSpool works only on the ImageWriter.
I have tried MultiSpool on a Mac Plus (2.5M) in Single and Multi Finder,
with System/Finder 6.0.3 through 6.0.7 with and without AppleTalk, and it
still wouldn't work for me.  The results varied from a crash to a hang.
One result said that there were no printers connected.

Someone had posted about a week ago that MultiSpool DID work,  would that
person PLEEZ explain how he/she got it to work in this newsgroup.

If anyone figures this out, please send me a copy of the posting to...

mfort@ub.d.umn.edu

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) (04/25/91)

I've found out that multispool doesn't seem to be compatible with
Quickkeys 2.0.

kingson@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Kingson Gunawan) (04/28/91)

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) writes:

>I've tried multispool with my deskwriter, but it doesn't work:
>there's no printer output, and as soon as I press one of the
>multispool dialog buttons, I get a crash.

>I'm running the deskwriter driver 2.1 on an SE/30 with 5Mb Ram,
>system 6.0.5 .
>How do I get this to work ?

I don't think that thing work at all.  I tried it with my SE, LC, IIfx, etc. with the same result.  It crashed/froze the system.
**	Kingson@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu					    **
**	or try	kgg6822@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu				    **
**	University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign USA			    **
**	Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering		    **
**	Electromagnetic and Communication Laboratory			    **

maxc1158@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Greg Penetrante) (04/28/91)

For those of us who bought StyleWriters, MultiSpool does not indeed work with
this fantastic printer; however, SuperSpool DOES, and very well indeed. I
suggest going out and purchasing this mother because you will then disable
all the arguments against the SW's speed.

One suggestion:  DO NOT USE THE INSTALLER ON THE STYLEWRITER PRINTER DISK!
Instead, just copy the StyleWriter driver into your system folder by dragging
it. You DO NOT HAVE to have System 6.07 to make StyleWriter work; instead of
TrueType, you can use ADobe Type Manager instead (for those of us who have
purchased tons of Adobe and Type 1 fonts).

-greg