[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II - Floppy upgrade

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (04/17/91)

What would it take to upgrade a Mac II floppy so that it was capable of
reading high-density disk, as well as work with Apple File Exchange?

Is there a standard Apple upgrade for this?

Thanks!
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)           Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (04/17/91)

}
}Is there a standard Apple upgrade for this?
}

yep... it's called the MacII FDHD ROM Upgrade. It includes new IIx-type ROMS
as well as a new SWIM (floppy controller) chip. This is required to USE the
"new" FDHD SuperDrive drives. However, you must then buy the FDHD DRIVE itself.
The ROM upgrade doesn't make your 800K drive able to read/write the 1.4M
format, it just enables you to use the type drives that can!

Price: ROM Upgrade ~$70 - ~$100 (w/ return of old chips)
       FDHD drive ~$350 - ~$450
}
}Thanks!

Yer welcome!

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

 "I object to all this sex on the television. I mean, I keep falling off!"

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (04/18/91)

In article <4943@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:

>In article <3070@sparko.gwu.edu> waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) writes:
>}What would it take to upgrade a Mac II floppy so that it was capable of
>}reading high-density disk, as well as work with Apple File Exchange?
>}
>}Is there a standard Apple upgrade for this?
>}
>
>yep... it's called the MacII FDHD ROM Upgrade. It includes new IIx-type ROMS
>as well as a new SWIM (floppy controller) chip. This is required to USE the
>"new" FDHD SuperDrive drives. However, you must then buy the FDHD DRIVE itself.
>The ROM upgrade doesn't make your 800K drive able to read/write the 1.4M
>format, it just enables you to use the type drives that can!
>
>Price: ROM Upgrade ~$70 - ~$100 (w/ return of old chips)
>     FDHD drive ~$350 - ~$450
>}
>}Thanks!
>
>Yer welcome!

Does this turn my II into a (slightly) faster IIx?  Is there any other
difference but the FDHD capacity?  Is the update 32-bit clean? (ha!)

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (04/18/91)

In article <17613@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
}In article <4943@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
}
}>In article <3070@sparko.gwu.edu> waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) writes:
}>}  /* question about FDHD upgrade for MacII */
}>}
}>
}>yep... it's called the MacII FDHD ROM Upgrade. It includes new IIx-type ROMS
}>as well as a new SWIM (floppy controller) chip. This is required to USE the
}>"new" FDHD SuperDrive drives. However, you must then buy the FDHD DRIVE itself.
}>The ROM upgrade doesn't make your 800K drive able to read/write the 1.4M
}>format, it just enables you to use the type drives that can!
}>
}>Price: ROM Upgrade ~$70 - ~$100 (w/ return of old chips)
}>     FDHD drive ~$350 - ~$450
}
}Does this turn my II into a (slightly) faster IIx?  Is there any other
}difference but the FDHD capacity?  Is the update 32-bit clean? (ha!)
}

Actually, the MacII will still be a bit slower, due to the memory wait states.
The ROM upgrade is also required for some 68030 upgrades since the MacII ROM
won't recognize the internal PMMU "chip" and will look for and expect an
external one. Using 4MB RAM SIMMs also require the upgrade.

32-bit clean... Ha! :)
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

 "I object to all this sex on the television. I mean, I keep falling off!"

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (04/23/91)

There are problems with II, and IIx, and no upgrade can fix them.
These machines simply cannot accept standard 4Mb simms -- the ones
using 8 * 4Mb DRAM chips.  They can accept 4Mb simms built from 32 *
1Mb DRAM chips.  The 4Mb DRAM chips have a special "test" wire, which
is brought out through the simm connection, and which the Mac II/IIx
logic board does not handle correctly at boot time.  The 1Mb DRAM
chips have no such test wire, so they work correctly with the II/IIx.

This is from the Apple Tech Note on DRAM installation and 32-bit
cleanliness.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL
"WAR!  UGH! ... What is it GOOD FOR?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!"
	- the song "WAR" by Edwin Starr, circa 1971

--

jweldon@renegade.csd.sgi.com (Jack P. Weldon) (04/30/91)

>In article <3070@sparko.gwu.edu> waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) wri
es:
>}  /* question about FDHD upgrade for MacII */
>yep... it's called the MacII FDHD ROM Upgrade. It includes new IIx-type ROMS
>as well as a new SWIM (floppy controller) chip. This is required to USE the
>"new" FDHD SuperDrive drives. However, you must then buy the FDHD DRIVE itself.

>Price: ROM Upgrade ~$70 - ~$100 (w/ return of old chips)

I have an old (ie: no serial number) Mac II that has 1 FDHD (MPF75W-11G) and
one 800K (MPF51W-23) but apparently doesn't have the ROM upgrade. I've called
one of the local Apple service folks to order the above kit, but I was told
that there is no such kit, only the drives by themselves or the drives AND the
ROMs.

Anybody know the part number or a place I *can* order the ROMS from? OR...:

In article <1991Apr17.125051.27864@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, jgs@merit.edu (John Scudder) writes:
> Come to think of it, I think that there is at least one precedent for ROM
> upgrades.  This had to do with a bug in the original Mac II ROMs, which
> Apple would swap for you gratis if you asked.

Does anyone have a list of which ROMS qualify for this?

Mine appear old enough to qualify for Social Security  (Beta 7.0) ???  :-)

--
Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon
(jweldon@csd.sgi.com)