[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mapping HD Bad Blocks

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (04/11/91)

	Hi.   I have a few questions concerning bad block and track/sector
re-allocation. I have a few drives that have sector 0 totally wiped out.
What i wanted to do was totally re-allocate track 0 else where.

I tried silverlining, LoDOWN, MicroNET, SUM, SUM II, Norton,and DPI.

But all failed to re-allocate the track. It is a 145Meg Hard disk
with a total of a couple of bad sectors. It succesfully R/W to the rest
of this disk, but fails to boot and mount.

Is there any solution to this problem. How can such a minor fault within say
a 32 memory space write off 140mb disk. Is there a program powerful enough
to actually analize this disk without crashing.

oh well.   Thanks in Advance.

steveh

In article <steveh.671376812@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

>	Hi.   I have a few questions concerning bad block and track/sector
>re-allocation. I have a few drives that have sector 0 totally wiped out.
>What i wanted to do was totally re-allocate track 0 else where.
>
>I tried silverlining, LoDOWN, MicroNET, SUM, SUM II, Norton,and DPI.
>
>But all failed to re-allocate the track. It is a 145Meg Hard disk
>with a total of a couple of bad sectors. It succesfully R/W to the rest
>of this disk, but fails to boot and mount.
>
>Is there any solution to this problem. How can such a minor fault within say
>a 32 memory space write off 140mb disk. Is there a program powerful enough
>to actually analize this disk without crashing.

A bad track 0 usually means the drive is useless.

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (04/26/91)

	No, Not always. I fixed 6 sony's by re aligning track 0 to track 1.

It worked, and still works. The bad track 0 has been forgotten forever...

steve h

In article <steveh.672683340@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
[probably in response to someone, maybe me, claiming that a disk with bad
sector 0 was useless]

>	No, Not always. I fixed 6 sony's by re aligning track 0 to track 1.
>

>It worked, and still works. The bad track 0 has been forgotten forever...

Now THAT is a neat hack!

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.213401.23881@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>In article <steveh.672683340@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
>[probably in response to someone, maybe me, claiming that a disk with bad
>sector 0 was useless]
>
>>	No, Not always. I fixed 6 sony's by re aligning track 0 to track 1.
>>

>>It worked, and still works. The bad track 0 has been forgotten forever...
>
>Now THAT is a neat hack!

I have heard of a similar hack for DOS hard drives. It was described
in the documentation for a hard drive utility called Spinrite.
Basically, you create a DOS partition using, say, 10 cylindrers, which
covers the boot tracks, then create another partition using some or
all of the rest of the disk, this time a partition of reasonable size,
and set this up as the bootable partition. They don't guarantee the
process, and I haven't had to try it, but perhaps something similar could
be done with a SCSI drive, maybe with Silverlining or some similar
package. Anyone out there with a bad hard drive who feels like
experimenting and would like to let us know what happened? This might
be one of those undocumented features that will only work with certain
hard drives.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.