[comp.sys.mac.hardware] truetype fonts.

basiji@milton.u.washington.edu (David Basiji) (04/30/91)

I'm running a Mac+ with 4M RAM and a 105M hard drive (and a fan!).  My system
is 6.0.7.  I recently installed some truetype fonts and was told that I should
see some very visible improvements with my Imagewriter I when using those fonts.Unfortunately, I don't.  In fact, the only thing these fonts seem to do is
slow down the page preview in MS Word.  I followed the installation instructions that came with the fonts except that I didn't use the chooser like they said
I might need to do (I only have the one printer and I deinstalled the chooser).

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
David Basiji
basiji@u.washinton.edu

strange@sprite.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.165158.29195@milton.u.washington.edu> basiji@milton.u.washington.edu (David Basiji) writes:
>I'm running a Mac+ with 4M RAM and a 105M hard drive (and a fan!).  My system
>is 6.0.7.  I recently installed some truetype fonts and was told that I should
>see some very visible improvements with my Imagewriter I when using those fonts.Unfortunately, I don't.  In fact, the only thing these fonts seem to do is
>slow down the page preview in MS Word.  I followed the installation instructions that came with the fonts except that I didn't use the chooser like they said
>I might need to do (I only have the one printer and I deinstalled the chooser).
>
>Any Ideas?

Yes.  Are you using the new Imagewriter printer driver, version 6.1??
I believe this is necessary.

	Steve

minich@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (05/01/91)

by basiji@milton.u.washington.edu (David Basiji):
| I'm running a Mac+ with 4M RAM and a 105M hard drive (and a fan!).
|  My system is 6.0.7.  I recently installed some truetype fonts and was
| told that I should see some very visible improvements with my
| Imagewriter I when using those fonts.Unfortunately, I don't.  In
| fact, the only thing these fonts seem to do is slow down the page
| preview in MS Word.  I followed the installation instructions that
| came with the fonts except that I didn't use the chooser like they
| said I might need to do (I only have the one printer and I
| deinstalled the chooser).
| Any Ideas?
|
| Thanks,
| David Basiji
| basiji@u.washinton.edu

For starters, do you still have lots of the bitmap fonts that the
TrueType fonts replace? (ie, Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol) If
so, do you also have the fonts twice the size of the fonts you
are using? (If you use 12pt Times in your document, do you have
24pt Times installed in you System file?) If so, this may be your
problem. TrueType will use a bitmap font where available. Try
changing the font size to something more "strange" like 13pt.
  I have had excellent results (for an Imagewriter) with TrueType. I
did a chart with all sorts of weirdly sized lettering going in all
directions and the type came out just beautifully. I can't wait to
get my hands on a StyleWriter....
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| "I'm not discouraging others from using