[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Radius Rocket: To Buy or Not to Buy...

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (04/30/91)

maxc1158@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Greg Penetrante) writes:

>I want to know if this Radius Rocket will be compatible with my current
>crop of software?! I have a Mac IIcx and using the most recent versions of
>ALL the Claris products as well as Think C 4.0   ?!?!

Claris products are on the list of applications to be tested with Radius
products, including Rocket.  I am not aware of any problems between Rocket
and Claris applications.

I believe that THINK C is compatible, except for a minor problem in the THINK
C Debugger.  From the Rocket "Read Me" file:

"The debugger starts running the program to be debugged without waiting for
the user to press the GO button. A work around is to place a debugger
statement at the beginning of the program."

>And will the Radius Rocket work with my RasterOps 24 bit card??????

With respect to RasterOps 224, 8L, 24L, 108+, Accelerator:

"Currently these RasterOps interfaces are not compatible with some of the
Motorola 68040's new features and thus, are not currently compatible with
Rocket.  This problem most likely occurs with most RasterOps interfaces.
Radius and RasterOps will work to solve the problem."

However, with respect to Apple Video Interfaces:

"All NuBus Apple color video interfaces are compatible with the Rocket; these
include the Mac II Video card (Toby Frame Buffer), 4*8, 8*24 and 8*24GC.
NOTE: The graphics accelerator INIT is not compatible with Rocket and should
be disabled from the Apple 8*24GC Accelerator Control Panel before Rocket is
turned on."

With respect to SuperMac Spectrum/24 Series III and PDQ Accelerators:

"Currently the Spectrum/8 and Spectrum/24 Series III 'stumbles' over the
Motorola 68040's new features and thus, is not currently compatible with
Rocket.  The SuperMac Spectrum/8 PDQ and Spectrum/24 PDQ interfaces do work,
although the graphics accelerator INITs are not compatible with Rocket and
should be disabled from the SuperMac Accelerator Control Panel before Rocket
is turned on.  Radius and SuperMac will work to solve the problem."

All current E-Machines color interfaces are compatible with Rocket.

Lastly, of course, all Radius Video Interfaces work fine, and are even
accelerated by the Rocket's built-in QuickDraw acceleration.

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

maxc1158@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Greg Penetrante) (05/01/91)

Thanks for the reply, and, if you don't mind, can you please tell us what
the Rocket will come with, in terms of RAM?

Do we have to supply our own RAM SIMMS to the Rocket?

pierce@radius.com (Pierce T. Wetter III) (05/01/91)

maxc1158@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Greg Penetrante) writes:

>Thanks for the reply, and, if you don't mind, can you please tell us what
>the Rocket will come with, in terms of RAM?

>Do we have to supply our own RAM SIMMS to the Rocket?

   The rocket is designed so that you can take the memory off your motherboard
 and transfer it to the rocket, leaving 4-256K simms to boot from. It does
 not come with any memory.

  You would be able to get memory cheaper from a dealer or mail-order anyway.

Pierce
--
My postings are my opinions, and my opinions are my own not that of my employer.
You can get me at radius!pierce@apple.com.