[fa.info-vax] Screen package

info-vax (12/22/82)

>From coar.umass@UDel-Relay  Tue Dec 21 20:57:43 1982
To: info-vax.umass@UDel-Relay
Cc: coar.umass@UDel-Relay
Via:  UMASS-ECE; 21 Dec 82 2:53-EST
Remailed-Date: 21 Dec 1982 1051-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

In the VMS directory (VMS V3.n) SYS$EXAMPLES, there is a file
called SCRFT.MAR. This is a template for user-written extensions
to the RTL screen package. It could use a lot more documentation
than it has, but it gives you the idea. It will allow you to extend
user utilities that muck around with the screen, but ---

it won't help with EDT. EDT, for some truly bizarre and obscure
reason, has its terminal driving routines hard-coded into it for
the VTxxx series. This is probably to force you to use DEC terminals
if you want the grace (?) and ease-of-use of EDT...

This was the case as of VMS V2.n. I haven't poked through the EDT
section of the microfiche (assuming it's there - has anyone else
noticed that AUTHORIZE vanished from the 'fiche for V3.0?), so
it may have been made expandable - but don't count on it.

For myself, I'll take Emacs over EDT any day...

	ken
	coar@umass

info-vax (12/22/82)

>From STEW@MIT-MC  Wed Dec 22 00:03:34 1982
To: coar.umass@UDEL-RELAY
Cc: STEW@MIT-MC, INFO-VAX@MIT-MC
Remailed-Date: 21 Dec 1982 1730-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

Several people have worked on modifying SCRFT recently; I have a
version which has been modified by P. Schreiner@anl, Edgar
Whipple@lbl, C. Granieri@slac, Ed Miller@ucsd, Bryan Higgins@LBL,
Wayne Graves@LBL and, most recently, by myself, Stew Rubenstein@harv-lhasa.

My version (which I am trying to transfer onto MIT-MC) includes
support for Concept 100, Ann Arbor K4080D and Ambassador, Adm3a,
Soroc, H19, Teleray and Tek 4027.  If anyone want a copy, let me know
and I'll reply when I get it over to MIT.  When I do, It'll live in
MC: VAX; SCRFT MAR and maybe we can keep that version up to date, with
all the different terminal types that people add.  Has anyone written
a SCRFT for any other terminal type?

Stew

info-vax (12/22/82)

To: coar.umass@UDEL-RELAY
Cc: STEW@MIT-MC, INFO-VAX@MIT-MC
Remailed-Date: 21 Dec 1982 1730-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

Meant to add this to my previous msg:

The reason that SCRFT is not used by EDT is probably that the screen
support is incomplete -- there is no SCR$INSERT_LINE or SCR$DELETE_CHAR,
for instance.  Maybe DEC could be induced to add some additional functions
to provide the kind of screen support typically needed by a screen editor.

Other DEC utilities do use SCRFT, however.  For instance, using the
version of SCRFT that I described in my previous msg, one can run MONITOR
and PHONE and SHOW PROCESS/CONTINUOUS on an Adm3a or whatever.

Has anyone thought of writing a SCRFT that just just calls the unix
termcap driver somehow?  Does this sound possible?  I don't know
enough about how termcap is used.

Stew

info-vax (12/22/82)

To: coar.umass@UDEL-RELAY
Cc: info-vax@MIT-MC
Remailed-Date: 21 Dec 1982 1730-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

The question of VMS SCRFT/SCRSHR and EDT came up at DECUS.  There is a problem
with the SCRFT.MAR distributed with 3.0 as it does not contain a couple of new
entry points added with that release.  The correct source code will be on a
future minor release (probably 3.2 but I do not want to dig into my DECUS notes
right now.)  The rather strong suggestion that EDT use SCRFT/SCRSHR was
positively "noted" but is very unlikely to be implemented before VMS 4.0,
although it is a slightly easier to make the change than to write a completely
new editor.  One thing which will be comming out of this DECUS is some feedback
for DEC on Foreign Terminal support in VMS.  The VAX SIG Foreign Terminal
(Support) Working Group should be being pulled together now to deal with this
problem.

-------