[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Radius Rocket

cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Scott Mandell) (04/27/91)

The Radius Rocket does cause some software incompatibilies, but they can
be overcome by turning on/off certain caches etc.  This may sound like a
pain, but you can configure the Rocket to recognize incompatible
applications and set itself accordingly.

Also the Rocket will not work with any Graphics Accelerators.

--Scott

-[ Scott E. Mandell ]-------------------------------------------------
-[ (607) 256 - 4217 ]-- Voice 9AM - 11PM 7 Days/Week -----------------
-[ (607) 256 - 0200 ]-- BBS 24 Hrs 300->14.4k V.32/V.32bis/HST -------
-[ Ithaca, New York ]-- COMMsultants, Inc. ---------------------------
-[------------------]-------------------------------------------------

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (04/30/91)

cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Scott Mandell) writes:

>The Radius Rocket does cause some software incompatibilies, but they can
>be overcome by turning on/off certain caches etc.

Well, actually, the Rocket just reveals some bad things in certain apps, such
as self-modifying code (very bad if the program doesn't clear the cache), and
direct access to hardware such as the sound chip, SCSI, and the serial ports.
Apple has said before that these things are bad and should not be done...

Applications with '040 incompatibilities will definitely want to fix them-
selves if Apple should happen to announce an '040 Macintosh.

>This may sound like a
>pain, but you can configure the Rocket to recognize incompatible
>applications and set itself accordingly.

Yes - the '040 cache modes can be disabled on a per-application basis,
through the RadiusWare control panel.

>Also the Rocket will not work with any Graphics Accelerators.

The SuperMac and RasterOps Graphics Accelerators are not compatible.  The
SuperMac Spectrum/8 PDQ and Spectrum/24 PDQ do work, although the graphics
accelerator INITs are not compatible with Rocket.  For more information
about Rocket and display interface boards, see my related posting which was
a followup to someone who asked about RasterOps compatibility.

In addition, the Rocket is in itself, a graphics accelerator.  It uses the
NuBus block transfer to accelerate video boards much in the same way that
the Radius QuickColor or Apple 8*24 GC cards do.  Therefore, a separate
accelerator is not really necessary.

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (04/30/91)

Were I to put one of these into my Mac II (with the original ROMs),
would I:

  1.  Have to get the motherboard upgrade to the newer ROMs

  2.  Be able to bypass the 24-bit addressing limitations/bugs in the
      Mac II ROMs (or would a 32-bit clean ROM still be necessary
      in order to reference an address space > 14MB)?

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (05/01/91)

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) writes:

>Were I to put one of these into my Mac II (with the original ROMs),
>would I:

>  1.  Have to get the motherboard upgrade to the newer ROMs

Yes.  From the Rocket Read Me file, regarding Mac II's with revision A ROMS:

"Rocket is incompatible with early Macintosh II's that are equipped with
Revision A ROMs.  The Revision A ROMs are only found in Macintosh II
computers manufactured before January 1988.  Please contact your authorized
Apple dealer for upgrade information."

>  2.  Be able to bypass the 24-bit addressing limitations/bugs in the
>      Mac II ROMs

No.  The Rocket runs using whatever ROMs you already have.  If they're 32-bit
clean, then you do 32-bit clean stuff.

>      (or would a 32-bit clean ROM still be necessary
>      in order to reference an address space > 14MB)?

Yes and No.  Programs like Maxima, Virtual, and/or Optima should shortly be
Rocket-compatible.  Contact Connectix for more information.