[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Problems with Quantum LPS52

planting@cs.pitt.edu (Professor Harry Plantinga) (04/17/91)

I recently purchased a Quantum LPS52 internal disk drive from MacTel.  A
day or two after I ordered it, I read a message from someone who was
having problems with a Quantum LPS drive.  That message stated that there
was a bug in the Quantum ROM.

Sure enough, when I installed mine the computer crashes occasionally on
exiting to the Finder and occasionally won't launch an application.  These
problems occur even with virgin system software.  I haven't had it crash
in an application yet, I don't think.

Does anyone have any more information?  Is Quantum supplying new ROMs?
Does anyone have an address or phone number for Quantum?

----------
Harry Plantinga
planting@cs.pitt.edu

planting@cs.pitt.edu (Professor Harry Plantinga) (04/19/91)

In article <10424@pitt.UUCP> planting@cs.pitt.edu (I) wrote:

> I recently purchased a Quantum LPS52 internal disk drive from MacTel.  A
> day or two after I ordered it, I read a message from someone who was
> having problems with a Quantum LPS drive.  That message stated that there
> was a bug in the Quantum ROM.
>
> Sure enough, when I installed mine the computer crashes occasionally on
> exiting to the Finder and occasionally [has other problems].

Just a follow-up to this message.  I contacted tech-support at the place I
ordered this disk and got more information.

When I ordered this disk, I specified mounting hardware for a Mac II.  It
turns out that the disk is also formatted for a Mac II, and cannot be used
on a slower mac.  Furthermore it cannot be reformatted to be used with a
slower mac--doing so "blows the EPROM" or something like that.  It has to
be sent back to the factory.

Sure enough, the disk runs without crashing on my mac II, but crashes on
my mac plus.  The vendor is going to replace the disk with one formatted
for a mac plus.

Moral:  there seems to be some problem with reformatting these disks for
slower computers.  Be sure to get one formatted for the slowest computer
you will use it with.

----------
Harry Plantinga
planting@cs.pitt.edu

Don.Noll@p3425.f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Don Noll) (04/20/91)

PH> Just a follow-up to this message.  I contacted tech-support at the place
PH> ordered this disk and got more information.
PH>
PH> When I ordered this disk, I specified mounting hardware for a Mac II.  It
PH>
PH> turns out that the disk is also formatted for a Mac II, and cannot be
PH> used
PH> on a slower mac.  Furthermore it cannot be reformatted to be used with a
PH>
PH> slower mac--doing so "blows the EPROM" or something like that.  It has to
PH>
PH> be sent back to the factory.
PH>
PH> Sure enough, the disk runs without crashing on my mac II, but crashes on
PH>
PH> my mac plus.  The vendor is going to replace the disk with one formatted
PH>
PH> for a mac plus.
PH>
PH> Moral:  there seems to be some problem with reformatting these disks for
PH>
PH> slower computers.  Be sure to get one formatted for the slowest computer
PH>
PH> you will use it with.

Professor, the difference betwwen the formatting on a Plus and a Mac II is in the INTERLEAVE.  The Plus <Without help from a read ahead cache> will still read a disk formatted for a MacII but at a reduced speed.  The formatting software they are selling with the drive SHOULD be able to change the interleave itself.  An eprom on a SCSI drive is an interesting idea, but I think the ROM in the machine is the problem. Suggested interleave factors for macs are as follows,
1/1 for MacII and faster(including SE/30), 2/1 for SE, 3/1 for a Mac Plus.

 * Origin: Not a cowboy, just a c'lone woof! (1:109/421.3425)

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (05/02/91)

It's very hard to decide what UseNet articles you can believe.  Some
things that I've believed have turned out to be false, and some of
the most outlandish things have turned out to be true.  If it weren't
for the fact that we are about to place an order for 100 of the Quantum
LPS52's, I would have ignored postings about problems with them as
being outlandish.

However, I spent most of yesterday formatting and loading various
drivers onto an LPS52, just to watch them crash and burn under 6.0.7.
(How?  Among the bombs I remember were "Coprocessor not Installed", and
Stack and Heap Collision".)  I used an SE, and a Classic, with drivers
from Unimac, Questronex, and a few that I borrowed just for the
experiment.  Frankly, I didn't isolate the problem enough to be able to
point my finger at anyone.  The 6.0.7 that I loaded on the LPS52 had
about 30 inits in it, but it all works well on the Quantum P40, and it
seems to work on the LPS52 with 6.0.5.

Is that clear?  The older Quantum drives are solid under any Apple
software, and the LPS52 seems to work under older system software.

When I reached Quantum's tech support, they were kind of nodding their
heads towards Apple, indicating that Apple goofed up.  However, with
System 7 all but out the door, Apple isn't interested in putting out a
6.08....

I didn't call Apple to get their view of the problem.

Quantum said that they are testing new firmware to get rid of the
problem. So, I called Marshall Industries (our Quantum supplier), and
said that the 100 drive order is on hold.  I believe that Marshall will
attempt to get me the new firmware as soon as possible to try out.

Wierd.  Outlandish, eh?  Time to look at the Maxtor 7040s, I guess.
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett