[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Any advice on how to configure a Mac Workstation?

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (05/02/91)

I have unexpected :))) funds to acquire a new computer for my office. We are
on a network so I don't *need* my own printer. I'd like to have a 2-page
display and an ethernet card (or other gizmo) to hook-up to our mainframe.
I am a B-school faculty, so you can guess that I use a mac to: (1) log on
our mainframe ; (2) write papers ; (3) do some number crunching with various
softwares ranging from Excel to Mathematica ; (4) plan to start fooling with
Geographic Information Systems (that's why I'd like a 2PD) ; and (5) watches
After Dark patterns.

My first thought would be to get a IIsi 5/80 with:
                    - FPU / accelerator (?)
                    - Apple's 2PD
                    - a video card (which?)

The whole system should not cost more than, say, 8K street. I'll appreciate
information (what *exactly* would you buy, and *why*)

Thanks,

      Stephane

marc@porsche944.Eng.Sun.COM (Marc Schneider) (05/03/91)

In article <91122.004257GFX@psuvm.psu.edu> GFX@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>My first thought would be to get a IIsi 5/80 with:
>                    - FPU / accelerator (?)
>                    - Apple's 2PD
>                    - a video card (which?)
>
>The whole system should not cost more than, say, 8K street.

 I have one at home, nice machine, but perhaps you should consider a
SPARCstation IPC. It's more power for about the same cost...
and it is a workstion, not a personal computer.

-Marc Schneider
 Sun Microsystems, Inc

--
Marc T. Schneider   Sun Microsystems, Inc. :
                                           : " When you just don't have time