[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Disk woes

allon@eng.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (03/19/90)

My 40 Meg Apple hard disk has been having problems.  First, let me state that
it is not a Quantum.  It is a Segate (at least thats what it says on the
controller board).  Lately it will not boot, and when booting from a floppy,
when it tries to mount the HD, it seeks around for a while, then comes back
and says that it is damaged, and do I want to initalize it.

I had a friend come over with his 44meg removable SCSI HD, and when I tried
to show him the problem, the mac booted (Thanks, Murphy!).  So, we made a
copy of my HD onto a spare removable HD of his, so I have a current backup.
I then tried initializing the HD with the Apple SC setup program, then loaded
my stuff back onto the drive.  But the problem won't go away.  What can I do?
Any other thoughts, or suggestions?  I'm probably going to wind up taking
it to a dealer and get a new HD in return for the old one (they get credit
for old drives, don't they?).  The computer/drive (it's a drive sold by Apple)
is only about a year old -- Oh, sorry, it's a Mac II with an internal drive.

Thanks.  Please reply by E-Mail, since I have a couple of programming assignments
and lots of homework, and a test to study for, and may not have time to read
news for a while.

                             - -= Allon =- -

   This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
   signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers, a zillion net
   addresses, or edifying philisophical statements.  This is only a test.

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (05/03/91)

Sorry, this is with System 6.0.7

In article <1991May2.230817.6784@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
>I'm having a problem with my (NEW) hard drive. When I first boot after being
>down for more than about 6 hours, the drive hangs while loading the inits.
>The select light stays on until I reset, then everything comes up fine.
>At first I thought: ok, init conflict, because it seems to happen while loading
>the same init everytime (by noticing which icon's are displayed and which ones
>aren't).  But since this only happens when the machine is "cold", I thought
>maybe "stiction".  But as someone pointed out to me, stiction went out with
>disco, and since I just bought this drive 2 weeks ago this "shouldn't" be
>the problem.
>So, my question is:  Can there be an init conflict only when a drive is cold
>                     and resolve itself after a reset?
>
>Since I can only play with the inits once a day (maybe twice if I stay up real
>late), an init conflict may take days or even weeks to figure out.
>Oh, btw, it seems to hang right after Norton directory assistance and before
>easy acces and Norton filesaver.
>
>Any help on this is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
>
>System: Classic w/  4MB and Quantum Pro 105 (from APS)
>                    various assortment of inits
                     w/system 6.0.7