[comp.sys.mac.hardware] DRIVE FORMAT AND SYSTEM 7?

Albert.Huang@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Albert Huang) (04/27/91)

I have SE/30 with 5/80 memory. Do I need to reformat my drive in order to
use system 7? Can I just install system 7 in my 80meg drive without
 reformatting my drive?
                                                 Thanks in advance
                                                 Al in Berkeley

--
Albert Huang - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Albert.Huang

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (05/03/91)

Albert.Huang@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Albert Huang) writes:

>I have SE/30 with 5/80 memory. Do I need to reformat my drive in order to
>use system 7? Can I just install system 7 in my 80meg drive without
> reformatting my drive?

You don't need to reformat your drive.

If you want to use VM, and you have an Apple drive, update the drivers
using the HDSC Setup which ships with System 7.0.  If you don't update
the drivers, then you can't run VM.  Everything else works fine.

You can just install system 7 in your 80meg drive without reformatting
the drive.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/03/91)

In article <14063.2818C0B5@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> Albert.Huang@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Albert Huang) writes:
>I have SE/30 with 5/80 memory. Do I need to reformat my drive in order to
>use system 7? Can I just install system 7 in my 80meg drive without
> reformatting my drive?
>                                                 Thanks in advance
>                                                 Al in Berkeley

Al,

I would recommend re-formatting (backing up first) your drive with HD SC
Setup, as it will probably increase performance.  I found that on my 160
(Apple), it made a performance difference.  Also, be sure to update the
driver, which is necessary for VM and other things.

BTW, partition your drive with the apple utility, delete the partition,
and click the grey area.  Type in the number it calls "Max", and you will
have a larger disk area.  Increased my Apple Internal 160 -> 170.5MB

Steve Klingsporn