[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIcx to IIfx upgrade?

chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) (05/02/91)

In the recent MacWEEK article, "Dirty-ROM Mac owners clamor for Apple
cleanup," there is a mention of an upgrade path the Apple has provided
from a IIcx to a IIfx.

Does anyone know how much this goes for and if it is for real?  Does
anyone know of a better option than this upgrade?

~chuck
--
+--------------------+             Chuck Ocheret             +---------------+
|chuck@fid.Morgan.COM|       Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc.      |(212) 703-4474 |

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/02/91)

In article <3154@s5.Morgan.COM> chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) writes:
>In the recent MacWEEK article, "Dirty-ROM Mac owners clamor for Apple
>cleanup," there is a mention of an upgrade path the Apple has provided
>from a IIcx to a IIfx.
>
>Does anyone know how much this goes for and if it is for real?  Does
>anyone know of a better option than this upgrade?

Actually, you have to read the sentence very carefully; it goes
something like:

"There currently is an upgrade path for IIx and IIcx owners, upgrade to
the IIfx or IIci."

The correlation here is IIx->IIfx and IIcx->IIci.  You can't take a IIcx
(compact case) and upgrade it to a IIfx (behemoth case); there just
isn't room!
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

maxc1158@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Greg Penetrante) (05/03/91)

In article <3154@s5.Morgan.COM> chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) writes:
>In the recent MacWEEK article, "Dirty-ROM Mac owners clamor for Apple
>cleanup," there is a mention of an upgrade path the Apple has provided
>from a IIcx to a IIfx.
>
>Does anyone know how much this goes for and if it is for real?  Does
>anyone know of a better option than this upgrade?
>
>~chuck

Unfortunately, the Mac IIcx to fx upgrade is nonexistent.  The FX motherboard is too large to fit inside a IIcx; instead, you can obtain a Mac IIci motherboard
upgrade for under $2000.

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (05/03/91)

In article <3154@s5.Morgan.COM> chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) writes:
>In the recent MacWEEK article, "Dirty-ROM Mac owners clamor for Apple
>cleanup," there is a mention of an upgrade path the Apple has provided
>from a IIcx to a IIfx.
>
>Does anyone know how much this goes for and if it is for real?  Does
>anyone know of a better option than this upgrade?

The unnamed Apple official suggested that cx owners could upgrade to the ci,
and IIx owners upgrade to the fx to get their 32 bit clean ROMs.

The suggested "upgrade" to get features Apple touts in its literature costs
10 times what a 32 bit clean ROM could be sold for.  I don't think that the
"official" had brain in gear when suggesting that people in the market for a
new ROM would necessarily be in the market for the ci or fx upgrade.

I wouldn't give my name with that "advice" either.

nkb@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Norman K Bucknor) (05/03/91)

In article <3154@s5.Morgan.COM> chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) writes:
>In the recent MacWEEK article, "Dirty-ROM Mac owners clamor for Apple
>cleanup," there is a mention of an upgrade path the Apple has provided
>from a IIcx to a IIfx.
>
>Does anyone know how much this goes for and if it is for real?  Does
>anyone know of a better option than this upgrade?
>
>~chuck
>--
>+--------------------+             Chuck Ocheret             +---------------+
>|chuck@fid.Morgan.COM|       Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc.      |(212) 703-4474 |
>|    Duty now ...    |19th Floor, 1251 Avenue of the Americas|for the future.|

Don't know for sure if there is such a program or not but it does seem
unlikely unless you literally trade in your IIcx for the IIfx. For Mac II
and Mac IIx, such an upgrade is available but that's just a board swap
(same form factor for the circuit boards)-cost is $3000 ($2300 edu.).

There is an upgrade from the IIcx to the IIci (again, circuit boards
have the same form factor) for $1800 edu. (don't know the retail).

Norman