[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Help! Bad display on old Plus

dave@gatech.edu (David K. Codelli) (05/03/91)

A few months ago, someone posted a message saying the display on their Plus had
been flickering and sometimes going out altogether.  I've have had trouble of
my own recently.

First, it would flicker and go out briefly, but if I hit the side it would come
back.  Then, it would go black except for one bright vertical white line in the
center of the screen.  Lately, I get no display at all, just the line.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance,

David

David K. Codelli                  |"Are you sure you don't want some-
Georgia Institute of Technology   | thing for the pain, Col. Flagg?
Internet: gt7315a@prism.gatech.edu| I mean, to make it worse!"
NeXTMail: dave@ironcity.gatech.edu|                        -Hawkeye

ccjapu@uta.fi (Jarmo Puntanen) (05/03/91)

In article <27910@hydra.gatech.EDU>, dave@gatech.edu (David K. Codelli) writes:

> A few months ago, someone posted a message saying the display on their Plus had
> been flickering and sometimes going out altogether.  I've have had trouble of
> my own recently.
>
> First, it would flicker and go out briefly, but if I hit the side it would come
> back.  Then, it would go black except for one bright vertical white line in the
> center of the screen.  Lately, I get no display at all, just the line.
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> David

You have had two independent problems:
1) Bad contact in the p.s.u. card -- main board connecting cable connector.
Banging the left side of the Mac is a temporary relief, re-soldering
the pads on the p.s.u card and cleaning the contacts is a more permanent one.
2) Just vertical line on screen / dead screen is caused by bad capasitor
on the p.s.u. card in the deflection circuitry. Locate the burst/bulging
part (marked 3u9/35v) and replace or have it replaced by a 4.7 u dry
capasitor, since the 3.9 u value is very hard to find.
Jarmo Puntanen /Tampere University Computer Centre, Tampere Finland