[fa.info-vax] UNIX Emacs and Ann Arbor Ambassador

info-vax (12/22/82)

>From zorat.suny-sbcs@UDel-Relay  Wed Dec 22 07:55:45 1982
To: info-vax@Sri-Csl
Via:  SUNY-SB; 21 Dec 82 23:14-EST
Remailed-Date: 22 Dec 1982 0609-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

In a recent article to this newsgroup it was stated that the
(hardwired) driver for the Ann Arbor Ambassador in the emacs code of
Gosling has problems at > 4800 bauds, because of insufficient padding.
In my experience, the opposite is true: the padding is not necessary at
all. I took it out everywhere, except for the "redraw screen" command,
where it is really needed. The insert/delete-char/line commands do not
need any padding at all.
I am running (under unix) at 9600 bauds, using an Able multiplexer.
Could this last be the reason why I do not seem to need padding?

info-vax (12/22/82)

>From MCLINDEN@RUTGERS  Wed Dec 22 15:27:41 1982
To: zorat.suny-sbcs@UDEL-RELAY
Cc: MCLINDEN@RUTGERS
Remailed-Date: 22 Dec 1982 1623-EST
Remailed-From: Sean McLinden  <MCLINDEN at RUTGERS>
Remailed-To: Info-Vax at SRI-CSL
Remailed-Date: 22 Dec 1982 1336-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

  Since it came up again, I thought I would mention that there is
 a bug in the terminal driver for Unix Emacs (Gosling), which is
 responsible, in part, for some of the problems. The bug is in
 TrmAmb.c in the function "blanks". The old code was:

    SetHL(0);
    if (CurrentMode == m_insert) {
        printf ("\033[%d@", n);

  etc.

  It should read:

    SetHL(0);
    if (DesiredMode == m_insert) {
        printf ("\033[%d@", n);

  We have found that this seems to solve the problems sometimes
  attributed to padding, at speads in excess of 9600 baud. This
  error was in a version of Emacs which we got in July so later
  editions may have fixed this.

  Merry Christmas!

  Sean McLinden
  Decision Systems Lab
-------

info-vax (12/23/82)

>From MCLINDEN@RUTGERS  Thu Dec 23 14:25:38 1982
To: zorat.suny-sbcs@UDEL-RELAY
Cc: Info-Vax@SRI-CSL
Remailed-Date: 23 Dec 1982 1054-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

Since it came up again, I thought I would mention that there is
 a bug in the terminal driver for Unix Emacs (Gosling), which is
 responsible, in part, for some of the problems. The bug is in
 TrmAmb.c in the function "blanks". The old code was:

    SetHL(0);
    if (CurrentMode == m_insert) {
        printf ("\033[%d@", n);

  etc.

  It should read:

    SetHL(0);
    if (DesiredMode == m_insert) {
        printf ("\033[%d@", n);

  And:

    static
    enum IDmode {m_insert = 1, m_overwrite = 0}
    CurrentMode, DesiredMode;

  should read:

    static
    enum IDmode {m_insert = 1, m_overwrite = 0}
    DesiredMode;

  We have found that this seems to solve the problems sometimes
  attributed to padding, at speads in excess of 9600 baud. This
  error was in a version of Emacs which we got in July so later
  editions may have fixed this.

  Merry Christmas!

  Sean McLinden
  Decision Systems Lab

  P.S. My apologies if an earlier (and incomplete), version
  of this text was released. The mailer jumped before I could
  proofread the text.
-------
-------