[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Bad Experience with Mirror Technologies

dinapoli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ron DiNapoli) (05/05/91)

In article <52394@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) writes:
>ccmlh@buitc.bu.edu (Mark Hayes) writes:
>
>>The Ehman full- and two-page monochrome monitors receive rave reviews
>>in the latest MacWorld, and the prices are quite attractive ($495 and
>>$895, with expansion card). Has anyone out there ever seen one of these
>>babies in action?
>
>We just went and bought a Mirror instead. About the same price for the two
>page, but unlike Ehman (and I know this from personal experience as well)
>Mirror is raved about by their customers not only for their hardware but for
>their service and support. I've had a couple of unpleasant hassles trying to
>get Ehman to help out on some technical glitches, so I'm not pre-disposed to
>work with them right now.

I, too, had heard of Mirror's great service so I decided to buy a PixelView II
for my new IIsi.   HOWEVER I had a DISAPPOINTING experience with Mirror...

I got the PVII with the PDS assembly.  When it came, I installed in my IIsi and
there was a problem.  The display looked really nice, but the OS seemed to
think that the Screen had about 6-10 more horizontal pixel lines then were
actually showing.  The result was that items meant to be on the bottom of the
screen (i.e., startup icons, the status bar in Excel, the Fill pattern bar
in Superpaint)  were getting cut off.

	I called Mirror a number of times and each time they tried
replacing a different part of the system.  First the software, then the video
card, then the monitor itself.  Nothing fixed the problem.  Then the tech guy
suggested there might be a problem with my Mac.  I couldn't believe it, but
I agreed to check it out.  I reinstalled all system software, booted without
my inits and the problem persisted.  When I asked if they had a IIsi set up
with a PVII using the PDS assembly, the answer I got was "It has been tested
and works fine".  They asked me if I could try to find another IIsi to install
the monitor on to see if the problem was in my IIsi.  I agreed to try and
took the PVII (which does not easily fit into a Honda Civic!) to the closest
Apple dealer where they were nice enough to let me try it out.  Lo and Behold
the problem appeared on the IIsi they had on display.   When I spoke with the
tech guy at Mirror the next day, he said that the only thing left to do was
to give me a refund for it.  I liked the monitor and wanted to keep it, so I
asked if they would let me try the NuBus assembly at an even exchange or even
at a discounted price (I went the PDS route in the first place because I
couldn't afford the extra $200-$250 the NuBus would have cost me).  He told me
that he couldn't authorize such a deal, and when I asked if he could check that
out or tell me who I could call to check that out, he said "I don't know of
anyone who would authorize that".

	So, I ended up with a refund and an Apple 12" monochrome display.
Every time I called the tech support line I was put on hold.  In most cases
(after holding for a few minutes) a receptionist came on the line and asked
to take a message.  When she'd tell me that they'd call me back as soon as they
could, I found myself waiting by the phone for hours, if not for an entire day.
When I was told someone would call me back "first thing in the morning" *I*
ended up calling them again after lunch that next day because no call had come.
The general impression I
got from my dealing with Mirror is that they weren't committed to fixing the
problem I had.  When it couldn't be solved by replacing each component of the
system, they just gave up.  I wouldn't have minded using the monitor with the
defect if they would've committed to isolating and fixing the problem.  I
wouldn't have minded working with them to try and isolate the problem in any
way I could have.  I did like the monitor.  But it seems that when the problem
became something that was not easily remedied by just "sending me a
replacement", that their outstanding "support" left something to be desired.
Instead of "supporting" me and my IIsi, they "dropped" me.  Although I don't
feel cheated or anything like that (they did give me a refund and did pay for
shipping on all the "replacements" and the returns), I felt more disappointed.

	I faxed a letter (and sent it via snail mail as well) to the President
of the company, whom I was told was very concerned with customers' feelings
and carefully read every letter sent to him. I told him just what I've
mentioned here about my experience.  The fax was sent on April 16.  I have
not yet received a reply or even an acknowledgement.

	So, let this be a warning to you.  I, too, had heard of many satisfied
Mirror customers--that's why I went with the Mirror product.  But, in a
situation which really required good tech support and customer support, the
support wasn't there.  I would also caution any of you with a IIsi who are
looking at the Mirror PixelView II--at least with the PDS assembly.  I would
also be interested in hearing from anyone who has a IIsi with a PixelView II
and the PDS card *who has had NO problems* !  If it is not a general problem
with IIsi's and the PDS interface to the PV II, I would like to figure out
why the heck it wouldn't work right on my machine!!!!

Sorry for the novel, but I thought it would be of interest of those who, like
me, had heard nothing but good things about Mirror...

Ron DiNapoli