[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacII owners. LEFT OUT IN THE COLD??

bruce@cfa.harvard.edu (Bruce Sams) (05/03/91)

I've been reading with keen interest the discussion of 32 bit clean
ROMs in MacIIx,IIcx, etc machines.  What I haven't been able to glean
is whether the original MacII (my machine) is definately gonna be
left out.  Will MacII owners be able to install the 32 bit ROMs if
they become available?  I really don't have any need for 128 Meg
of RAM, if that's the only issue involved here. But, I am anxious
that with "dirty" ROMs running system 7 there will be more system
 crashes than with the clean ones.  Is this paranoia?

I have the PMMU chip to install in the MAcII when the time comes, and
I've got 8 meg of RAM.  Have I got a rotten apple?

thanks

Bruce Sams

sams@cfa.harvard.edu

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) (05/04/91)

bruce@cfa.harvard.edu (Bruce Sams) writes:

>But, I am anxious
>that with "dirty" ROMs running system 7 there will be more system
> crashes than with the clean ones.  Is this paranoia?

This is total paranoia. Comes from listening to uninformed folks spreading
half-thought-out rumors.

I have been running System 7 betas for months on my Mac II at home. I'm
running System 7 on my Mac II now. I will be running System 7 on my Mac II
until it finally dies the final death and forces me to buy a new machine
some years in the future.

>I have the PMMU chip to install in the MAcII when the time comes, and
>I've got 8 meg of RAM.  Have I got a rotten apple?

You got more than I do. I never bothered to install a PMMU.

Remember: on networks, lies travel just as quickly as truth, and they look
exactly the same.

--
Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended: ORION IN THE DYING TIME Ben Bova (Tor, Aug, ***-); SACRED
VISIONS Greeley&Cassutt (Tor, Aug, ****+); MEN AT WORK George Will (****);
XENOCIDE Orson Scott Card (August, ****)

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.155249.15781@cfa203.harvard.edu> bruce@cfa.harvard.edu (Bruce Sams) writes:

>I've been reading with keen interest the discussion of 32 bit clean
>ROMs in MacIIx,IIcx, etc machines.  What I haven't been able to glean
>is whether the original MacII (my machine) is definately gonna be
>left out.  Will MacII owners be able to install the 32 bit ROMs if
>they become available?  I really don't have any need for 128 Meg
>of RAM, if that's the only issue involved here. But, I am anxious
>that with "dirty" ROMs running system 7 there will be more system
>crashes than with the clean ones.  Is this paranoia?
>
>I have the PMMU chip to install in the MAcII when the time comes, and
>I've got 8 meg of RAM.  Have I got a rotten apple?
>
>thanks
>
>Bruce Sams
>
>sams@cfa.harvard.edu

Well, yes and no.  Officially, you can always upgrade your II->IIfx
and get 32-bit clean ROMs in the deal (~$4000).

However, if you're referring to the Internet Letter which encourages
Apple to fix the dirty ROMs, yes, you were left out.  They felt it
would cloud the waters to include the Mac II.  I withheld my
endorsement of the letter for this reason.

So, in real terms, you look to be out in the colld.  Join the club.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (05/06/91)

In article <52403@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) writes:
>bruce@cfa.harvard.edu (Bruce Sams) writes:
>
>>But, I am anxious
>>that with "dirty" ROMs running system 7 there will be more system
>> crashes than with the clean ones.  Is this paranoia?
>
>This is total paranoia. Comes from listening to uninformed folks spreading
>half-thought-out rumors.

I'd like to second this.  Many of us, myself included, have been agitating
for Apple to get the "32-bit clean" ROMs for the IIcx and SE/30 out.

HOWEVER!  This in no way means that our Macs are useless, or otherwise likely
not to work for any application except those that take up tens of megabytes
of memory (such as animation - REAL animation, not that Director idiocy).

Many have taken to referring to the extant ROMs as "dirty" - and they are no
dirtier today, even in relation to System 7, than they were when first shipped.

Since the terminology we use tends to influence the way we think, may I suggest
to the other denizens of this topic that we use the term "24-bit ROMs" instead
of anything that suggests a lack of hygiene.

They're NOT dirty - they're just not everything we paid for (check your owner's
manual!).
--
Mark Hartman, N6BMO           "What are you just standing there for?  Where
Applelink: N1083 or BINARY.TREE      do you think you are, DIS-ney World??"