[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Video digitizing/video-in-a-window boards

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (05/01/91)

Greetings,

  A friend of mine and I are both looking for video boards for our Mac
II-series macines (my IIx, his IIci) which will allow us to put live video in
a window on our color monitors, and digitize images to a graphic format,
preferably in 24-bit.

  Other nice features would be:  graphic overlay, NTSC scan-rate output, and
combined frame-buffer/digitizing hardware, to eliminate shipping video over
NuBus.

  Obviously, price is a factor.  $6000 is out of the question.  We'd like to
stay in the $1-2,000 range.

  Any input from folks as to which boards from which manufacturers are best
would be much appreciated.  BTW, is there an Apple product which will do this
kind of stuff?

Thanks!
--Mike

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (05/01/91)

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) writes:

>  A friend of mine and I are both looking for video boards for our Mac
>II-series macines (my IIx, his IIci) which will allow us to put live video in
>a window on our color monitors, and digitize images to a graphic format,
>preferably in 24-bit.
>  Other nice features would be:  graphic overlay, NTSC scan-rate output, and
>combined frame-buffer/digitizing hardware, to eliminate shipping video over
>NuBus.

Sounds like you're after RadiusTV, winner of several awards, including Byte
magazine's Product of the Year for 1990.  (Disclaimer - please don't flame
this as an advertisement - he *did* ask, and so I shall answer... :-)

Anyway, the RadiusTV Video Capture System provides 8 or 16-bit full motion
video in a moveable, and FULLY resizeable window up to 640 x 480 pixels.  It
also digitizes audio for playback through the Mac speaker.  The built-in tuner
includes CATV tuning, and the software also provides closed-caption decoding
and transcription.  Switchable video inputs include 2 RF, 2 NTSC, and 1 RGB.
It works with the Radius DirectColor Series video interfaces (for color Two
Page Displays) as well as the Radius DirectColor/GX for the Apple 13".
The DirectColor/GX interface also provides NTSC (or PAL) scan-rate output.

RadiusTV does not include a frame buffer, but rather utilizes NuBus block
transfer to move video from the frame grabber board to the display board.

>  Obviously, price is a factor.  $6000 is out of the question.  We'd like to
>stay in the $1-2,000 range.

The retail price of the RadiusTV was just reduced from $2795 to $2195, and
street prices are often even less...  Of course, Radius also offers special
pricing for Apple Developers (to save me from getting swamped with email
on how to get developer pricing, I'll just post the phone number of the
Sales department:  (408) 434-1011).  In addition, Radius Developer Services
can provide developer documentation on the RadiusTV Developer Toolkit, which
allows you to write your own custom applications using the RadiusTV hardware.

>  Any input from folks as to which boards from which manufacturers are best
>would be much appreciated.  BTW, is there an Apple product which will do this
>kind of stuff?

Unfortunately, I didn't save all of the messages, but there was a rather
lengthy discussion of RadiusTV in this newsgroup about six months ago - the
only complaint I can recall was the high price, and that's been adjusted.

>Thanks!

No problem - you're welcome.

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J. Baumgartner) (05/02/91)

I thought I'd follow up the Radius plug with a RasterOps plug.  We've
been using the RasterOps 364 for a while and it does most of what you
want: it is a 24-bit 640 x 480 video display board as well as a 30 fps
digitizer.  Its main drawback is that it doesn't do any kind of
overlay, and you're on your own for audio.

I've seen (and we've bought) the 364 for street prices of around $900.
However, RasterOps is discontinuing the 364 in favor of a new board,
the 24STV, which adds overlay capability as well as daughterboard slots
for an accelerator and a image compression board.  (The daughterboard
design is nice if you've got a IIsi.)  We're waiting for our first
24STV to arrive so I can't comment on its performance, but I thought
the 364 was a great board, especially at under $1000.  The street
prices for the 24STV seem to be around $1250 and up... check ClubMac,
for example.

If you want more information e-mail me or give RasterOps a call.  I've
been real pleased with the company.

Std. disclaimer:  I don't work for RasterOps, I just use their
products.

Eric Baumgartner                   *  ebaum@dartmouth.edu
Interactive Media Lab              *  - When in danger or in doubt,
Dartmouth Medical School           *      run in circles, scream and
shout.

peter@cs.uwa.oz.au (05/06/91)

Hello All,

We've been using the RO 364 and are particularly impressed with the developer
support that is available (if you are lucky enough to have access to
AppleLink). We have produced our own HyperCard video capture stack for
recording student photos and are currently working on modifying the "Image"
software (available via ftp from alw.nih.gov) to allow analysis of video images
from an optical microscope.

Just one note on a previous posting, Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J.
Baumgartner) writes:
> We've
>been using the RasterOps 364 for a while and it does most of what you
>want: it is a 24-bit 640 x 480 video display board as well as a 30 fps
>digitizer.

That is 30 frames per second video display. Not to be confused with capture
rate, which is of course dependent on cpu speed, memory available and image
size.

Peter Dodd (peter@cs.uwa.oz.au)
MacLabs Programmer
Computer Science Department