[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Machine price performance/Options

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May5.183049.16243@mcs.drexel.edu> upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu (Paul Siu) writes:
>In article <1991May3.132416.4880@cbnews.cb.att.com> mlg@cbnews.cb.att.com (mike.goodrich) writes:
>>I have a Mac LC and I can't figure out why so many people compain about things
>>like this.  I haven't found anything that my LC can't do that other Mac's can.
>>
>>Actually I think it is a really good machine.  I have been able to run close
>>to 90% of the software that I have attempted to run.  (Being a User grou
>>librarian that is a lot of software).
>
>It seems that people complain about a number of things with LC in general.
>
>1) No support for PMMU, and math co, so it can't run virtual memory.  Since it
>   doesn't support virtual memory, Apple decided that 32-bit clean ROMs was
>   unnecessary, so third party products are still limited to 14MB.
>2) People complain that Apple didn't go all the way and have video support
>   expandable to 32-bit.
>3) Power supply on the LC is wimpy.  Even cheapo PC clone these days come with
>   150 watt power supply.  Some feel that Apple could at least afford to put
>   in a decent size power supply.
>
>Actually, I think that it is a nice machine, but chances are, you always want
>your machine to do more.  Some complaining is not necessary bad, it tells Apple
>what you want to change on their next product.
>
>Paul Siu
>upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu

Actually, I think Apple hardware is ungodly over priced.  Apple could easily
sell that wimpy little classic for RETAIL $499.00 and still make a great
profit off of the thing!

I basically had a decision, either a MEGA STE with a 16Mhz 68000, ST157N
built in Appletalk capable, and wopping 4 megs DRAM standard, for $990
or go with a base classic with its itsy bitsy screen and anemic 1mb of
memory for $899.00 ????

Something is rotten in Apple land.  Too bad too, as even the Apple hardware
sucks, the system software is excellent and could help a lot of PC drones
out there.

--Gregory

PS: not too mention the huge sums of money Apple would make with an
    equivalent sized PC market.  Its so typical for American companies
    to think short term, instead of long term!