[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Graphics accelerator theory of operation question

simoni@strat.Stanford.EDU (Richard Simoni) (05/02/91)

How do graphics accelerators for the Mac (say for instance the Apple card
with an AMD 29000) gain their graphics speedup over a stock Macintosh?  That
is, do they use:

1.  Parallelism:  Graphics operations are off-loaded to separate processor,
allowing main processor to continue with other tasks.  (In the Mac world,
would this mess up the serialization of operations intended by the
programmer?)  For entirely graphics-bound operations, this parallelism
obviously won't buy much.

2.  Faster Graphics Processor:  Graphics operations are off-loaded to
separate processor which is faster than main processor.  Main processor
waits for graphics CPU to complete before proceeding.

3.  Other factors: e.g., block transfers on bus to increase available
bandwidth to memory, etc.

Thanks to anyone who can help enlighten me on this topic.  Apologies for
rehashing what I'm sure others have asked before.

Rich Simoni
simoni@strat.stanford.edu

nkb@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Norman K Bucknor) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.085707.11955@cascade.Stanford.EDU> simoni@strat.stanford.edu writes:

>How do graphics accelerators for the Mac (say for instance the Apple card
>with an AMD 29000) gain their graphics speedup over a stock Macintosh?  That
>is, do they use:
>
>1.  Parallelism:  Graphics operations are off-loaded to separate processor,..
>2.  Faster Graphics Processor:  Graphics operations are off-loaded to...
>3.  Other factors: e.g., block transfers on bus to increase available...
>Rich Simoni
>simoni@strat.stanford.edu

I'm no expert, but from what I've read most accelerators do one or more of
the things you've mentioned. Some Quickdraw operations do not benefit
from this acceleration, so the effectiveness of the accelerator varies
with what you're doing.

Norman

davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May2.085707.11955@cascade.Stanford.EDU>, simoni@strat.Stanford.EDU (Richard Simoni) writes:

> How do graphics accelerators for the Mac (say for instance the Apple card
> with an AMD 29000) gain their graphics speedup over a stock Macintosh?  That
> is, do they use:
>
> 1.  Parallelism:  Graphics operations are off-loaded to separate processor,
> allowing main processor to continue with other tasks.  (In the Mac world,
> would this mess up the serialization of operations intended by the
> programmer?)  For entirely graphics-bound operations, this parallelism
> obviously won't buy much.

The 8-24 GC does this.  It apparently queues up a number of operations then
performs them when it decides it has queued enough.  When an operation is
queued, the program gets control back to continue processing while the
operation is performed.

> 2.  Faster Graphics Processor:  Graphics operations are off-loaded to
> separate processor which is faster than main processor.  Main processor
> waits for graphics CPU to complete before proceeding.

The graphics processor on the 8-24GC is a RISC chip (an AM29000 I think).
It's probably a lot faster at most operations than a 68000 series processor,
but 1. is the way to go.

> 3.  Other factors: e.g., block transfers on bus to increase available
> bandwidth to memory, etc.

The 8-24GC is supposed to be able to perform block transfers, but I don't
know whether they are really used.  The target memory must be capable of
block mode access for this to work, so I'm guessing that most of the video
cards out there don't have this hardware.  Block transfers are a big plus
since they take significantly fewer cycles than arbitrating on every transfer
then performing the transfer.

Hope this helped.

Russell Davoli