[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Connectix fix for old ROMs

wilson3@husc9.harvard.edu (Frederick Wilson) (05/07/91)

Hello all,

   A few days ago I posted the following information about "dirty" ROMs and
a Connectix solution. I am not endorsing Connectix (although I like their
stuff). I'm just reposting a Press Release which was posted elsewhere.

 -Todd (All opinions presented here are my own, and, for better or for worse,
nobody elses.)

-------------

CONNECTIX ANNOUNCES MODE32 and MC73

Menlo Park, California, April 30, 1991 -- Connectix Corporation today announced
two new products that offer Mac-II class systems complete compatibility with
the powerful memory features of System 7.0.  MODE32 is a software utility that
enables Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 systems to run in standard System 7 32-bit
mode in the same manner as the more recent Mac II-family systems.  MC73 is the
PMMU memory coprocessor needed to run Apple VM or Connectix Virtual on the
original Mac II.

MODE32 is a unique utility for Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 users who want to
use System 7 32-bit mode.  It allows these systems to access 32-bit mode
through the standard System 7Jmemory control panel in the same fashion as later
ROM systems (IIci, IIsi, IIfx and IILC).  Without MODE32, the controls for
32-bit mode do not appear on the panel and it is not possible to use 32-bit
mode.   MODE32 is an INIT and cdev which is transparent in normal operation.

Using 32-bit mode, the Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 can access up to 128
megabytes of contiguous physical application memory and up to 1 gigabyte (1000
megabytes) of contiguous virtual memory.   This mode overcomes the traditional
8 megabyte limit of previous Macintosh Operating Systems.

MODE32 works by enabling the use of the System 7 32-bit addressing mode which
would normally not be accessible on the SE/30, II, IIx, and IIcx systems.  This
problem occurs because the software built into the ROMs of these systems was
designed only to be compatible with the less powerful 24-bit addressing mode
(which was standard in System 6.0).  By extending the compatibility of those
ROMs to the new 32-bit mode, MODE32 provides full System 7.0 32-bit
functionality to these earlier systems.

MODE32 will be of interest both to users with large amounts of physical RAM (>
8MB) and those with less RAM who would like to use more than 14MB of virtual
memory (System 7 VM or Connectix Virtual).  MODE32 has a suggested retail price
of $169 and is expected to be released concurrently with System 7.0 in mid-May.

MC73 is the Motorola 68851 Paged Memory Management Unit, commonly known as a
PMMU.  The PMMU is required in order to run System 7.0 VM on a standard Mac II.
With a PMMU, the Mac II is fully compatible with standard VM virtual memory,
but still needs MODE32 to operate physical or virtual memory in 32-bit mode.
The original 68020-based Mac II incorporated a motherboard socket specifically
designed for this memory coprocessor.  Ironically, the more recent 68020-based
Mac LC is not able to take advantage of this upgrade as it lacks the necessary
motherboard socket.

The name MC73 refers to the fact that the PMMU is the current MC68851RC16A Mask
73 version, the only version known to be fully compatible with all of the
Macintosh Operating System.  MC73 also includes a 3M disposable grounding strap
and a detailed installation manual.  The product has a list price of $179,
carries a 90-day warranty, and is shipping now.

Connectix designs, manufacturers, distributes, and publishes innovative
products for the Macintosh family of computers.  For more information call
Connectix Corporation in Menlo Park, California, at (800) 950-5880, fax (415)
324-2958, or AppleLink CONNECTIX.

philip@pescadero.stanford.edu (Philip Machanick) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.083850.893@husc3.harvard.edu> wilson3@husc9.harvard.edu
(Frederick Wilson) writes:
>   A few days ago I posted the following information about "dirty" ROMs and
>a Connectix solution. I am not endorsing Connectix (although I like their
>stuff). I'm just reposting a Press Release which was posted elsewhere.
[...]
>CONNECTIX ANNOUNCES MODE32 and MC73
[...]
>MODE32 is a software utility that
>enables Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 systems to run in standard System 7
32-bit
>mode in the same manner as the more recent Mac II-family systems.  MC73 is the
>PMMU memory coprocessor needed to run Apple VM or Connectix Virtual on the
>original Mac II.
[...]
>MODE32 has a suggested retail price
>of $169 and is expected to be released concurrently with System 7.0 in
mid-May.
[...]
>MC73 ... has a list price of $179 ... and is shipping now.
If this all works as advertized, who needs Apple's ROM upgrade? Assuming the
usual mail order discounts, I doubt any solution from Apple would be
competitive on price (though a ROM replacement may have performance advantages
over an INIT/CDEV-based patch). Anyone with a Mac II keen to buy an MC73 and
report back?

Philip Machanick

In article <1991May7.173459.6781@neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu (Philip Machanick) writes:
>In article <1991May7.083850.893@husc3.harvard.edu> wilson3@husc9.harvard.edu
>(Frederick Wilson) writes:
>>   A few days ago I posted the following information about "dirty" ROMs and
>>a Connectix solution. I am not endorsing Connectix (although I like their
>>stuff). I'm just reposting a Press Release which was posted elsewhere.
>[...]
>>CONNECTIX ANNOUNCES MODE32 and MC73
>[...]
>>MODE32 is a software utility that
>>enables Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 systems to run in standard System 7
>32-bit
>>mode in the same manner as the more recent Mac II-family systems.  MC73 is the
>>PMMU memory coprocessor needed to run Apple VM or Connectix Virtual on the
>>original Mac II.
>[...]
>>MODE32 has a suggested retail price
>>of $169 and is expected to be released concurrently with System 7.0 in
>mid-May.
>[...]
>>MC73 ... has a list price of $179 ... and is shipping now.
>If this all works as advertized, who needs Apple's ROM upgrade? Assuming the
>usual mail order discounts, I doubt any solution from Apple would be
>competitive on price (though a ROM replacement may have performance advantages
>over an INIT/CDEV-based patch). Anyone with a Mac II keen to buy an MC73 and
>report back?

An MC73 is just a PMMU-- I HOPE that other MC68851RC16s work also-- MODE32 is
the 32-bit memory manager.