[comp.sys.mac.hardware] DeskJet IIIP and PostScript: True or False?

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) (05/06/91)

True or false:

The DeskJet IIIP with PostScript cartridge (just announced)
DOES NOT utilize the resolution enhancement technology available
in the IIIP.

And the corollary: There is no major benefit for a Mac user
of a IIIP + PostScript over a IIP + PostScript.

(Both of these scenarios are with HP's PostScript cartridge; I
tend to doubt that a third party cartridge would use advanced
HP features...)

Thanks for the help,

Greg Sorensen
sorensen@athena.mit.edu

In article <1991May6.122931.2944@athena.mit.edu> sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) writes:
>True or false:
>
>The DeskJet IIIP with PostScript cartridge (just announced)
     ^^^^
Sorry team. I meant the _LaserJet_ ...it was a long night.-:)

Greg Sorensen
sorensen@athena.mit.edu

n67786@cc.tut.fi (Tero Nieminen) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.122931.2944@athena.mit.edu> sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) writes:

   True or false:

   The DeskJet IIIP with PostScript cartridge (just announced)
   DOES NOT utilize the resolution enhancement technology available
   in the IIIP.

   (Both of these scenarios are with HP's PostScript cartridge; I
   tend to doubt that a third party cartridge would use advanced
   HP features...)

We have a HP LaserJet IIIP with an Adobe PS Cartridge connected to a Mac
Plus and it certainly does take advantage of the resolution enhancement.
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

dth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.122931.2944@athena.mit.edu> sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) writes:
>True or false:
>
>The DeskJet IIIP with PostScript cartridge (just announced)
>DOES NOT utilize the resolution enhancement technology available
>in the IIIP.

FALSE.

The Laserjet III, IIIp, and IIIsi all use the Resolution-Enhancement
Technology (RET) regardless of the printer control language.  We are
using a LJIII here at UF with an HP PostScript cartridge and the HP
drivers (chooser documents).  In all of the "print..." dialog boxes
there is a pull-down menu to select the RET: light, medium, dark, off,
or printer default.  Also, while in PostScript mode the standard
control-panel is still active on the LJ; you can set the RET at the
printer as well.

We have been very pleased with the LJIII; it has had no trouble printing
anything we've given it, and it does print some things (some detailed
Pagemaker documents, for example) that our Laserwriter IINT doesn't.

Dave
Dave Hightower		|    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu		| well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!
LAW OF COMBAT #1:  Incoming fire has the right of way
	      #2:  If the enemy's in range, so are you
	      #3:  Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you
	      #4:  Never forget that you weapon is made by the lowest bidder