[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Memory-management for LC?

mwnorman@bnr.ca (Michael Norman) (05/04/91)

Here is a question I have about the LC:

I have seen adds for FPU-cards and Ethernet cards (and IIe cards, but
who cares :-) to go into a LC.  Now, if I recall my Motorola manuals
correctly, your basic memory-manager-unit chip works with 68020's,
n'est-ce pas?  So, how come I don't see adds for such beasties?

A LC with MMU would seem to be a nice machine for the $$ - System
7.0<some_version_number> could use the MMU to do VM.

Any ideas,

Thanks in advance,
--
Mike Norman,c/o Bell-Northern Research UUCP:...uunet!bnrgate!bcarh332!mwnorman
P.O. Box 3511 Station 'C' Ottawa       BITNET: MWNORMAN@BNR.CA

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) (05/04/91)

I believe that Dynamac has a $100 card that has sockets for a 68030 and
and FPU that goes in the 68020 direct slot of the LC.  It seems like the
II Si is a better buy.  It is about $800 more than the LC at US
univeristy prices.

curfmanm@cas.orst.edu (Matthew Curfmanm) (05/05/91)

>who cares :-) to go into a LC.  Now, if I recall my Motorola manuals
>correctly, your basic memory-manager-unit chip works with 68020's,
>n'est-ce pas?  So, how come I don't see adds for such beasties?
>
>A LC with MMU would seem to be a nice machine for the $$ - System
>7.0<some_version_number> could use the MMU to do VM.
>
>Any ideas,
>
>Thanks in advance,
>--
>Mike Norman,c/o Bell-Northern Research UUCP:...uunet!bnrgate!bcarh332!mwnorman

I seem to remember that the reason a person can't add a MMU to the LC
is because the MMU needs to sit between the memory and processor, so that
it can perform the logical to physical address translations.  Since Apple
didn't leave a sockett available for this, since the processor is soldered to
the board, and since the address lines go straight to the memory array, it
would be difficult to add a MMU.

This is just my understanding, and could be totaly wrong :)

Matt Curfman                                           Oregon State University
curfmanm@cas.orst.edu                      Extension Computing Technology Unit
                         Standard Disclaimer Applies

jcbeatty@lute.waterloo.edu (John C. Beatty) (05/08/91)

In article <6299@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) writes:
>I believe that Dynamac has a $100 card that has sockets for a 68030 and
>and FPU that goes in the 68020 direct slot of the LC.  It seems like the
>II Si is a better buy.  It is about $800 more than the LC at US
>univeristy prices.

I understand from Dynamac that a problem has arisen with their 68030
product, and that they will be shipping an fpu-only board rather
than a 68030/fpu board (for less money).  The salesperson I spoke
with claimed it was Apple's problem, and that with the existing
logic board you cannot upgrade to an '030 ... more than that,
I cannot say ...