[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Crippled ROM in LC

SYSMEST@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (05/02/91)

In a recent post someone mentioned that Apple had "crippled the ROM in the
LC".

Does anyone know what he ment by this statement (obvously I don't).
Any info posted would be appreciated.

mlg@cbnews.cb.att.com (mike.goodrich) (05/03/91)

In article <91122.124005SYSMEST@GECRDVM1.BITNET> SYSMEST@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
>In a recent post someone mentioned that Apple had "crippled the ROM in the
>LC".
>
>Does anyone know what he ment by this statement (obvously I don't).
>Any info posted would be appreciated.

I have a Mac LC and I can't figure out why so many people compain about things
like this.  I haven't found anything that my LC can't do that other Mac's can.

Actually I think it is a really good machine.  I have been able to run close
to 90% of the software that I have attempted to run.  (Being a User grou
librarian that is a lot of software).

			Mike
			mlg@cblph.att.com

curfmanm@cas.orst.edu (Matthew Curfmanm) (05/04/91)

I to have an LC, and I can find no instances that would back up the
suggestion that the ROM has been crippled.  The limitations that
the LC does have can easily be justified by the price I paid for it.  Every
piece of commercial software that I have tried, and most of the
shareware stuff from Sumex works without a hitch.

I suspect that the people who are having problems with the LC are people
that have pirated old software, and thus are not able to run the
correct versions of the software without having to go out and buy it.

For a 'low-end starter' color machine, its great!

Matt Curfman                                           Oregon State University
curfmanm@cas.orst.edu                      Extension Computing Technology Unit
                         Standard Disclaimer Applies

pekkala@convex.com (Rick Pekkala) (05/04/91)

i've had my LC since early february.  i haven't had a single hitch
with any software, whatsoever.  the machine is perfect for what
i wanted to do, and what i was willing to spend!

>For a 'low-end starter' color machine, its great!

w/ the exception of the FPU, the LC is every bit as fast (and faster
in video) than the original MACII.
--
Rick Pekkala, pekkala@convex.com, {sun,texsun,uunet}!convex!pekkala 214-497-4131
CONVEX Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX 75080

EHYOUNK@MTUS5.BITNET (05/05/91)

Actually, I think that I looked at some benchmarks that had the MacII faster
than the LC in interger operations as well. I wasn't suprised since the LC only
has a 16bit data bus. Personally I think it is a shame to tie a 020 down to a
16 bit data path.  I wonder how much money (on a per unit base) apple saved by
doing this?  Anyone know?

  One more question, does anyone know why the FX's PDS runs at 20MHZ? Is it due
 to the fact that the 030 spilts it clock in half, thus making the efective
 speed of the bus 20Mhz. I guess my real question is if the PDS is a
asynchronous or synchronous bus. Since you already have the Nubus, why not have
the PDS run at the speed of the main cpu?

   Please E-mail, unless you think that someone else might be interested in
   knowing.

   Later,

   Ed

upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu (Paul Siu) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.132416.4880@cbnews.cb.att.com> mlg@cbnews.cb.att.com (mike.goodrich) writes:
>I have a Mac LC and I can't figure out why so many people compain about things
>like this.  I haven't found anything that my LC can't do that other Mac's can.
>
>Actually I think it is a really good machine.  I have been able to run close
>to 90% of the software that I have attempted to run.  (Being a User grou
>librarian that is a lot of software).

It seems that people complain about a number of things with LC in general.

1) No support for PMMU, and math co, so it can't run virtual memory.  Since it
   doesn't support virtual memory, Apple decided that 32-bit clean ROMs was
   unnecessary, so third party products are still limited to 14MB.
2) People complain that Apple didn't go all the way and have video support
   expandable to 32-bit.
3) Power supply on the LC is wimpy.  Even cheapo PC clone these days come with
   150 watt power supply.  Some feel that Apple could at least afford to put
   in a decent size power supply.

Actually, I think that it is a nice machine, but chances are, you always want
your machine to do more.  Some complaining is not necessary bad, it tells Apple
what you want to change on their next product.

Paul Siu
upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu

gerhard@cs.arizona.edu (Gerhard Mehldau) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.183049.16243@mcs.drexel.edu>, upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu (Paul Siu) writes:

> [...]

> 1) No support for PMMU, and math co, so it can't run virtual memory.  Since it
>    doesn't support virtual memory, Apple decided that 32-bit clean ROMs was
>    unnecessary, so third party products are still limited to 14MB.

Huh?  It is my understanding that the LC contains the same ROMs as the
IIsi, IIci, and IIfx, which are 32-bit clean.  The 14MB limit is a result
only of the missing PMMU; consequently, if you put a 68030 or 68040 board
(with the built-in PMMU) in the '020 PDS slot, you will be able to address
more than 14MB of memory.

> [...]

- Gerhard

--
-> Gerhard Mehldau
   Dept. of Computer Science	internet: gerhard@cs.arizona.edu

malx0893@steer.sdsu.edu (Mike Peay) (05/09/91)

The April 30 issue of MacWeek lists the Mac LC as one of the few
32 bit clean ROM machines in production.

Mike Peay
malx0893@steer.sdsu.edu (student account - good until May 20)