[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 9600 baud modems

watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) (03/15/90)

Back to 9600 modems again!   Does anyone know where I can get a
U.S. Robotics Courier V.32   or    Racal Vadic 9632VP modem?

I like to find it as inexpensive as I can (don't we all)
I need a modem that has does V.32 and has a theoretical throughput of 19k bps.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Kent Leung
Internet: watermaa@boulder.colorado.edu (posted c/o A.Waterman)

plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) (05/03/91)

What 9600 baud modems do you recommend?  I don't want or need fax capability.
I am merely looking for something that will speed up downloading time.  I
also have no idea what v32 or v42 are, so I don't think I really need them
(I might be wrong, though...)

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

--
Jack Brown
aka plague@milton.u.washington.edu

Charlie.Mingo@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/05/91)

plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) writes:

JB> What 9600 baud modems do you recommend?  I don't want or need fax capa
JB> I am merely looking for something that will speed up downloading time.
JB> also have no idea what v32 or v42 are, so I don't think I really need
JB> (I might be wrong, though...)

    If you want to connect to other modems at speeds higher than 2400
bps, you'll have to pay some attention to protocols.

    Essentially, you can either get a modem with a proprietary
high-speed protocol (which are cheaper, but which only connect to
modems of the same manufacturer), or get one with a standard protocol,
such as v.32.  v.32 modems are more expensive, but they connect to any
other v.32 modems, and they're getting pretty common now.  I believe
Practical Peripherals makes a P9600SA v.32 modem for $489
(MacConnection).

    If you want to go one better, v.32 has been extended to handle
14400 bps transmissions in the new v.32bis protocol.  v.32bis modems
aren't common now, but will soon replace v.32 modems.  The Prometheus
ProModem Ultima supports v.32bis for $689.

     If you choose a propriatary portocol, you're limited to whatever
brand modems are supported by the sites you wish to connect with.

    Don't worry about v.42 or v.42bis.

 * Origin: The Clone: Macintosh Things - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421.911)

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (05/07/91)

On 05-May-91 in Re: 9600 baud modems
user Charlie Mingo@p911.f421. writes:
>JB> What 9600 baud modems do you recommend?  I don't want or need fax capa
>JB> I am merely looking for something that will speed up downloading time.
>JB> also have no idea what v32 or v42 are, so I don't think I really need
>JB> (I might be wrong, though...)
>
>    If you want to connect to other modems at speeds higher than 2400
>bps, you'll have to pay some attention to protocols.

[bunch of pointers to 9600 baud modems deleted]

>    Don't worry about v.42 or v.42bis.

Why not?  I thought that these were becoming common ... replacing the v.32
standards.

Just curious,

Brad

In article <gc9PMrq00WBNE3dakV@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
>On 05-May-91 in Re: 9600 baud modems
>user Charlie Mingo@p911.f421. writes:
>>JB> What 9600 baud modems do you recommend?  I don't want or need fax capa
>>JB> I am merely looking for something that will speed up downloading time.
>>JB> also have no idea what v32 or v42 are, so I don't think I really need
>>JB> (I might be wrong, though...)
>>
>>    If you want to connect to other modems at speeds higher than 2400
>>bps, you'll have to pay some attention to protocols.
>>

>[bunch of pointers to 9600 baud modems deleted]
>
>>    Don't worry about v.42 or v.42bis.
>
>Why not?  I thought that these were becoming common ... replacing the v.32
>standards.
>
>Just curious,
>
>Brad

<Looks around for Brad to bang his head against the wall, fails to find him,
and beats his own head against the wall instead)
ARGHHHH!!!! V.32 is a modulation standard.  V.42 is an error correction
standard which requires implementation of either LAPM or MNP4.  V.42bis is
a compression standard.  The reason not to worry about them is that LAPM is
not much better than MNP4, and that V.42bis does not help much when
transferring already compressed files.  (though it is very helpful when
transferring uncompressed files!)

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.032035.13190@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu
(Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

   ARGHHHH!!!! V.32 is a modulation standard.  V.42 is an error correction
   standard which requires implementation of either LAPM or MNP4.  V.42bis is
   a compression standard.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the difference between V.32bis
and V.42bis.  V.42bis is, I agree, pretty useless if your data is already
compressed.  V.32bis is yet another modulation scheme, this time offering
(I think) a 14Kbaud full duplex data rate, but it's not yet widely
available.
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (05/09/91)

In article <gc9PMrq00WBNE3dakV@andrew.cmu.edu>, bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:

|> >    If you want to connect to other modems at speeds higher than 2400
|> >bps, you'll have to pay some attention to protocols.
|> >

|> [bunch of pointers to 9600 baud modems deleted]
|>
|> >    Don't worry about v.42 or v.42bis.
|>
|> Why not?  I thought that these were becoming common ... replacing the v.32
|> standards.

	As a quick note, V.32 is the international standard for 9600 baud
modems, V.32bis increases the transmit rate by about 1.6. V.42 is a protocol
that can be layered on V.32 and provides a self-correcting (ie: error-free)
connection. V.42bis is another independant compression standard that can
provide up to 4 times the normal throughput on your modem depending upon the
type of data being transmitted.

	I believe that both V.42 and V.42bis are available on 2400 baud
modems (V.22 or V.22bis protocol, I'm not sure which).

	For the true story, read the newsgroup comp.dcom.modems.

	Peter C

--
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)