[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mail-order companies....Inquiry.

erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) (02/16/91)

I am considering the purshase of a 105mb Quantum external HD.  There are
three companies that I am looking at...

Warehouse 54 is selling the drive for $399.

Club Mac is selling the drive for $449.

APS is selling the drive for $469.

I know that APS has an excellent reputation for service, etc.  Has anyone
had any contact with the other companies?  Is there any reason other than
service that I should be concerned with in regards to the purchase of
this drive?  Do you have any knowledge of the ethics of these companies?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) (02/17/91)

In article <7JDFX1w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) writes:
>I am considering the purshase of a 105mb Quantum external HD.  There are
>three companies that I am looking at...
>
>Warehouse 54 is selling the drive for $399.
>
>Club Mac is selling the drive for $449.
>
>APS is selling the drive for $469.

I just ordered a Q105 internal from APS ($399) and they had two screwups in
a row that delayed my drive for a week.  I'd still buy another drive from
them, though, I'm quite satisfied with the Quantum 40-meg my company got
from them a year and a half ago.

One question that I wonder if anyone can shed some light on:  Why has
APS had the Q105 drives for $399 and all other companies charge an extra $100?
Is APS affiliated with Quantum in some strange way?

bill

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (02/20/91)

.us (Michael Erb) writes:
>I am considering the purshase of a 105mb Quantum external HD.  There are
>three companies that I am looking at...
>
>Warehouse 54 is selling the drive for $399.
>
>Club Mac is selling the drive for $449.
>
>APS is selling the drive for $469.

I will also be in the market for another drive RSN.  I know APS has a
great reputation, but Warehouse 54 is $70 cheaper.  I'd never heard of
them until their ad in the latest MacUser; has anyone on the net had
any experience with W54? or Club Mac, for that matter?

Inquiring wallets want to know.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |

mings@cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) (02/20/91)

In article <16561@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>In article <7JDFX1w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny
>.us (Michael Erb) writes:
>>I am considering the purshase of a 105mb Quantum external HD.  There are
>>three companies that I am looking at...
>>
>>Warehouse 54 is selling the drive for $399.
>>
>>Club Mac is selling the drive for $449.
>>
>>APS is selling the drive for $469.
>
>I will also be in the market for another drive RSN.  I know APS has a
>great reputation, but Warehouse 54 is $70 cheaper.  I'd never heard of
>them until their ad in the latest MacUser; has anyone on the net had
>any experience with W54? or Club Mac, for that matter?

Are you guys really sure that Warehose 45 is selling the Quantum 105 internal
at $399 and APS sells it at $469 ?  According to this month's (Mar 91)
MacUser, APS is selling it at $399 and Warehouse 45 is selling at $479.
I don't know what's their price in this week's MacWeek, Warehouse 45 may
dropped its price, but it's not very likely that APS would raise the price.

   Ming Yau So                        | Disclaimer needs to be repaired !!
   Internet: mings@cs.uoregon.edu     |      >>>SCUD>>>   (disclaimer)
   AOL: Ming So                       |------------------------------------

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (02/21/91)

In article <7JDFX1w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny
   >.us (Michael Erb) writes:
   >>I am considering the purshase of a 105mb Quantum external HD.  There are
   >>three companies that I am looking at...
   >>
   >>Warehouse 54 is selling the drive for $399.
   >>
   >>Club Mac is selling the drive for $449.
   >>
   >>APS is selling the drive for $469.
   >
   >I will also be in the market for another drive RSN.  I know APS has a
   >great reputation, but Warehouse 54 is $70 cheaper.  I'd never heard of
   >them until their ad in the latest MacUser; has anyone on the net had
   >any experience with W54? or Club Mac, for that matter?

	Are you sure Warehouse 54 is selling an EXTERNAL drive.  $399 sounds
	like a good price for an internal drive.  You might what to check
	to make sure the drive is a 3.5 half height drive.

	=Mike

--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (02/21/91)

In article <YEE.91Feb20133553@katana.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee)
writes:
(various price quote on Quantum 105 deleted)
>    >I will also be in the market for another drive RSN.  I know APS has a
>    >great reputation, but Warehouse 54 is $70 cheaper.  I'd never heard
of
>    >them until their ad in the latest MacUser; has anyone on the net had
>    >any experience with W54? or Club Mac, for that matter?
>
>         Are you sure Warehouse 54 is selling an EXTERNAL drive.  $399
sounds
>         like a good price for an internal drive.  You might what to check
>         to make sure the drive is a 3.5 half height drive.

I agree; $399 is a good price for an internal. APS is currently selling
the Quantum 105 for $399 as an internal, according to their ad in MacWeek.
I wouldn't take the published prices in the monthly rags too seriously;
the lead time for ads is so long that prices in fast-moving markets are
only useful as guides. Call APS for their current price - they're probably
right down there with everyone else.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb20.132159.18849@cs.uoregon.edu> mings@cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) writes:

>Are you guys really sure that Warehose 45 is selling the Quantum 105 internal
>at $399 and APS sells it at $469 ?  According to this month's (Mar 91)

I think you just got confused by the external vs. internal prices.

BTW, I went with APS.  Their warranty looks better and they have a
excellent reputation; I still don't know anything about W54, and hate
to take a chance.

erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) (02/26/91)

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

> In article <1991Feb20.132159.18849@cs.uoregon.edu> mings@cs.uoregon.edu (Ming
>
> >Are you guys really sure that Warehose 45 is selling the Quantum 105 interna
> >at $399 and APS sells it at $469 ?  According to this month's (Mar 91)
>
> I think you just got confused by the external vs. internal prices.
>
> BTW, I went with APS.  Their warranty looks better and they have a
> excellent reputation; I still don't know anything about W54, and hate
> to take a chance.
>

> -- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
> |   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
> | were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
> | cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
> | and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
> | color TV, too.                                                        |
> |   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |

This thread has gotten very confusing.  I originally posted a question as
to whether anyone had heard of Warehouse 54, Club Mac and APS.  I posed
this question because for 105 mb Quantum EXTERNAL drives, the price
spread was pretty significant between the three companies...
Warehouse 54-$399
Club MAc    -$449
APS         -$469

I too decided to buy from APS.  Their reputation, helpfulness on the
phone and generous warranty convinced me not to fool around with an
unknown company...ie: Warehouse 54.

Hope this ends the confusion.

Mike

glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Glaeske) (02/28/91)

How about the company Hard Drives International, are they a decent company?
How about Aurora Industries?  Both of these companies offer decent prices on
Quantum drives, but can they be trusted?

HDI is advertising 105 Quantum 19ms acces time External for $399 and an
Internal for $349.  Supossedly there is a 2 year replacement policy on these
drives.  The company is advertising on page 237 of April's MacWorld.

Thanks,
--
Brian Glaeske
 -  /|                        glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu  [Internet]

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/10/91)

In article <27BDB52D.17249@orion.oac.uci.edu> bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:
>In article <7JDFX1w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) writes:
>>I am considering the purshase of a 105mb Quantum external HD.  There are
>>three companies that I am looking at...
>>
>>Warehouse 54 is selling the drive for $399.

>One question that I wonder if anyone can shed some light on:  Why has
>APS had the Q105 drives for $399 and all other companies charge an extra $100?
>Is APS affiliated with Quantum in some strange way?

Funny, I just bought a Q105 from Warehouse 54 yesterday for $349.  It
was $329 last week (drat!).  Shipping was $14 for Fed Ex 2-day.

So the question becomes why is everyone else charging $40-60 more than
W54 on the same drive?  Or is W54 cutting their throats on these to drum
up business? :-)
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |