[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Ehman monitors

ccmlh@buitc.bu.edu (Mark Hayes) (05/03/91)

The Ehman full- and two-page monochrome monitors receive rave reviews
in the latest MacWorld, and the prices are quite attractive ($495 and
$895, with expansion card). Has anyone out there ever seen one of these
babies in action?

john@killer.uucp (John Schettino x4156) (05/03/91)

In article <80740@bu.edu.bu.edu> ccmlh@buitc.bu.edu (Mark Hayes) writes:
>The Ehman full- and two-page monochrome monitors receive rave reviews
>in the latest MacWorld, and the prices are quite attractive ($495 and
>$895, with expansion card). Has anyone out there ever seen one of these
>babies in action?

Yes! I have an Ehman full-page mono monitor on my IIci at home, and
it's great! The image is brite and sharp, and the card was easy
to install. The tube is pretty curved (ie, you'd never think
it was a flat-panel display!)

My suggestion is to spend the extra $400 and get the two-pager if
you do serious DTP as you'll want the extra room for pop-ups,
pallettes, etc. For casual use, the extra real estate and ease
of a full page display cannot be beat.

Neat Toys!
john schettino
john@ctc.contel.com

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) (05/03/91)

ccmlh@buitc.bu.edu (Mark Hayes) writes:

>The Ehman full- and two-page monochrome monitors receive rave reviews
>in the latest MacWorld, and the prices are quite attractive ($495 and
>$895, with expansion card). Has anyone out there ever seen one of these
>babies in action?

We just went and bought a Mirror instead. About the same price for the two
page, but unlike Ehman (and I know this from personal experience as well)
Mirror is raved about by their customers not only for their hardware but for
their service and support. I've had a couple of unpleasant hassles trying to
get Ehman to help out on some technical glitches, so I'm not pre-disposed to
work with them right now.

--
Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended: ORION IN THE DYING TIME Ben Bova (Tor, Aug, ***-); SACRED
VISIONS Greeley&Cassutt (Tor, Aug, ****+); MEN AT WORK George Will (****);
XENOCIDE Orson Scott Card (August, ****)

cfj@iSC.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) (05/04/91)

In article <52394@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) writes:
|> ccmlh@buitc.bu.edu (Mark Hayes) writes:
|>
|> >The Ehman full- and two-page monochrome monitors receive rave reviews
|> >in the latest MacWorld, and the prices are quite attractive ($495 and
|> >$895, with expansion card). Has anyone out there ever seen one of these
|> >babies in action?
|>
|> We just went and bought a Mirror instead. About the same price for the two
|> page, but unlike Ehman (and I know this from personal experience as well)
|> Mirror is raved about by their customers not only for their hardware but for
|> their service and support. I've had a couple of unpleasant hassles trying to
|> get Ehman to help out on some technical glitches, so I'm not pre-disposed to
|> work with them right now.
|>
|> --
|> Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
|>      SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms
|> Book Reviewer, Amazing Stories    ---@---    #include <standard/disclaimer.h>

Speaking of 2 page monitors, does anyone know anything about the
Protege' 2 page monitor sold by MacAvenue ??

--
Charles Johnson
Intel Corporation

chow@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (05/04/91)

.
.Yes! I have an Ehman full-page mono monitor on my IIci at home, and
.it's great! The image is brite and sharp, and the card was easy
.to install. The tube is pretty curved (ie, you'd never think
.it was a flat-panel display!)

.My suggestion is to spend the extra $400 and get the two-pager if
.you do serious DTP as you'll want the extra room for pop-ups,
.pallettes, etc. For casual use, the extra real estate and ease
.of a full page display cannot be beat.

In my opinion, if you go ahead a purchase an Eham 2-page display you will
seriously regret your decision. Last year I purchased one of their 2-page
displays and after two weeks it promptly died.

I called them up and eventually obtained a replacment monitor, which worked
for about two to three months when it too died of the same symptons. Both two
page displays appeared to have died from power supply problems, and both
exhibited symptons of a poorly designed power supply: The display could not
hold the standard 50% grey desktop pattern across the entire screen without
distortion. I.e., looking at the display from time to time where the 50%
grey pattern had a visible interference pattern.

Since both my original monitor and the replacement monitor both died the
same way and exhibited the same symptons, I think the monitor has serious
design problems and should not be trusted. BTW, I noticed that Eham's recent
ads now picture a different looking 2-page display, but who know if they've
just redecorated the piece of junk I bought or if they changed the innards.
One thing clear, though is to stay far far away from them and their
piece of junk 2-page display.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@theory.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)    |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| US Mail:   1 Notre Dame Dr - Room 335, Albany, NY 12208                   |
| Phone:     1-518-426-0687                                                 |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

--
Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\

cdlee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (CHUNDA LEE) (05/04/91)

In article <80740@bu.edu.bu.edu> ccmlh@buitc.bu.edu (Mark Hayes) writes:
>The Ehman full- and two-page monochrome monitors receive rave reviews
>in the latest MacWorld, and the prices are quite attractive ($495 and
>$895, with expansion card). Has anyone out there ever seen one of these
>babies in action?

We have several mac in our lab. They hook up different kinds of the monitors. The one I am using is Ehman two-page monochrome monitor with IIsi. We are happy using it. Also it is the best monochrome monitor in our lab.

CD LEE,  cdlee@its.rpi
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

mike@odgate.odesta.com (Mike J. Kelly) (05/08/91)

In article <80740@bu.edu.bu.edu> ccmlh@buitc.bu.edu (Mark Hayes) writes:
>The Ehman full- and two-page monochrome monitors receive rave reviews
>in the latest MacWorld, and the prices are quite attractive ($495 and
>$895, with expansion card). Has anyone out there ever seen one of these
>babies in action?

I've been using an Ehman 2 page monochrome monitor since December.  I
have a couple of complaints about it:

	* The text can get quite "wavy" at times -- not a real problem
	  in my application (programming) but I could see where it would
	  be to a graphic artist.

	* I often take my SE/30 home.  To do so, I go into the control
	  panel and switch the menu bar to the internal display from
	  the large screen.  The problem is that when I boot at home,
	  it takes three times (almost exactly three -- never less,
	  seldom more -- I have no idea why) for the system to boot
	  with an unfrozen mouse cursor.  If you don't hold down the
	  "M" key while booting (something I got from an Ehman support
	  guy) it *never* will boot with an unfrozen mouse cursor.
	  This is rather annoying.

My experience with Ehman order tracking was terrible.  I placed the
order and was promised delivery in ten days.  Two weeks later, I called
back and was told it had shipped.  They even gave me a Fed Ex tracer
number.  Turns out the number they gave me made no sense to Fed Ex.  So
I called them back -- and back, and back, and back.  This went on for
another two weeks.  Towards the end, I took to faxing daily messages in 48
point type asking "WHERE'S MY MONITOR?" to the service person I was
dealing with.  I finally faxed a letter directly to Michael Ehman, the
president, detailing this whole sorry mess.  I never received a
response.

This may have been a unusual incident -- I don't know.

Mike Kelly               Odesta Corporation, Northbrook, Illinois, USA
...!clout!odgate!mike    - Until odesta.com is registered.
odgate!mike@clout.uucp   - From the Internet.

fvernon@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu (Frank Vernon) (05/11/91)

In article <80740@bu.edu.bu.edu> ccmlh@buitc.bu.edu (Mark Hayes) writes:

>The Ehman full- and two-page monochrome monitors receive rave reviews
>in the latest MacWorld, and the prices are quite attractive ($495 and
>$895, with expansion card). Has anyone out there ever seen one of these
>babies in action?

	Like many other people responding here, I too have had some VERY bad
experience with Ehman monitors. I bought the two-page about 10 months ago,
and I have had trouble with both it and the service at Ehman.

	When I first ordered it, the sales person promised delivery in 10 to
14 days. At the end of the two weeks I called and it had not shipped, but I
learned from my bank that they had charged my credit card the day I ordered it.

	At this point, the run-arround began. To keep a very long story short,
it took 4 weeks to get the monitor and I was lied to many times about shipping
and even availability. The sales person kept saying "It will go out today" for
about a week and a half, then I called the shipping department directly and
they told they did not even have any in stock and it would be another two to
three weeks. (Now remember here that they had already charged my card). When
I told the shipping department to cancel my order and refund my money, they
told me that they would "go down and put it on the dock personally." At this
point I did receive the monitor within 4 days.

	Now, I must admit that I still use the monitor and I like the overall
quality of its display. It is bright and has few distortions. I have, however,
in the last 10 ten months, sent it back for repair twice and it has been
different things each time.

	The first time, it was my card and the second it was the power supply.
I cant prove this, but I think that when the card went, it took the
entire NUBUS chain with it. My Mac was still under warranty at the time, but I
did have to have the motherboard replaced right after the monitor went back
for the card work. Both times, I did receive the monitor back in the promised
time.

	The hardware problems I can forgive (kinda), but there is NO excuse for
the initial service I received. To charge my credit card the way they did with
no intention of shipping is unethical at best, and I would venture to say
slightly dishonest of them.

	In summary, I would just say that I will NEVER NEVER purchase anything
from Ehamn EVER again.

Frank Vernon