[comp.sys.mac.hardware] StyleWriter at MacProducts USA

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (05/09/91)

Just thought I'd let everyone know about the MacProducts StyleWriter
deal.  My previous posting asked about the $393 price they advertised.
Well I finally got through on the phone, and here's what they said:

The Apple StyleWriter is on backorder four to six weeks. The price will
be $393 plus $59 for the Accessory Package. "Accessory Package"? I asked.
This includes the cable, the software and the warrantee.
Needless to say, I hung up on the guy.  It's still not a bad price, but I
will not do business with a company that operates like this.

  I'm allergic to .sigs, so you wont find one here!
Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.201714.19391@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
   The Apple StyleWriter is on backorder four to six weeks. The price will
   be $393 plus $59 for the Accessory Package. "Accessory Package"? I asked.
   This includes the cable, the software and the warrantee.
   Needless to say, I hung up on the guy.  It's still not a bad price, but I
   will not do business with a company that operates like this.

Just to clarify a point, based on what I saw last time I was in a Mac
store, the Stylewriter Accessory Package is a valid Apple-provided
item.  In other words, the mere existence of the Accessory Package
isn't some sneaky trick these guys have pulled.  Now, as far as the
fact that you basically don't end up with a printer you can use
*without* the accessory package, that's another matter.

On second thought, or do you?  Now, if you have to buy the accessory
package in order for the standard Apple 1 year warranty (or whatever
they put on the SW) to go into affect, then it's sort of a
requirement.  But, does it require a special cable?  And the software;
when we all go out to get System 7.0, will we have everything they're
providing?  Maybe it's only necessary if you don't already have the
basics you need.  Would someone who bought one like to comment on
this?
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) (05/10/91)

>>requirement.  But, does it require a special cable?  And the software;
>>when we all go out to get System 7.0, will we have everything they're
>>providing?  Maybe it's only necessary if you don't already have the
>>basics you need.  Would someone who bought one like to comment on
>>this?

I have not purchased one myself, however, the software is free via
FTP at apple.com.  I imagine that no special cable is involved, so one
could theoretically purchase a generic cable and FTP the software
to avoid having to buy the accessory package.  A good point was
brought up about the warrenty though - would this approach void
the warrenty?  Anybody know if a generic cable will work?

**  Robert Warden                         warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu    **
**  University of Pennsylvania                  @gradient.cis.upenn.edu **
**                                                                      **

gerhard@cs.arizona.edu (Gerhard Mehldau) (05/11/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May10101205@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu>, francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:

> On second thought, or do you?  Now, if you have to buy the accessory
> package in order for the standard Apple 1 year warranty (or whatever
> they put on the SW) to go into affect, then it's sort of a
> requirement.  But, does it require a special cable?  And the software;
> when we all go out to get System 7.0, will we have everything they're
> providing?  Maybe it's only necessary if you don't already have the
> basics you need.  Would someone who bought one like to comment on
> this?

I haven't bought one (yet), but I understand that the StyleWriter's
power supply is a brick (at the end of that "special cable"), rather
than being included with the unit.  It is probably listed separately
(by Apple) because there are two versions of the power supply -- one
for 110V (U.S.A.), and another one for 220V (Europe).

As far as mail order advertising goes, I agree that it would be more
honest to advertise the price for the combo; the sales reps could then
still ask their customers which kind of power supply they wanted/needed.

- Gerhard

--
-> Gerhard Mehldau
   Dept. of Computer Science	internet: gerhard@cs.arizona.edu

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/11/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May10101205@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu>, francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:
>Just to clarify a point, based on what I saw last time I was in a Mac
>store, the Stylewriter Accessory Package is a valid Apple-provided
>item.  Now, as far as the
>fact that you basically don't end up with a printer you can use
>*without* the accessory package, that's another matter.
>
>On second thought, or do you?
>Would someone who bought one like to comment on
>this?

As I recall, the Accessory Packages included the software, cable
(standard Apple cable), and -power supply-.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

smargari@nmsu.edu (Susan Margarit) (05/11/91)

My stylewriter box says 'Requires stylewriter accessory kit' on the
outside. I'll bet that it is supposed to be included with every
printer at no additional co. My bet is that they are just trying to
rip people off. From previous posts, it seems to be their MO.

Jim.

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn L. Austin) (05/11/91)

In article <42934@netnews.upenn.edu>, warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) writes:

> >>requirement.  But, does it require a special cable?  And the software;
> >>when we all go out to get System 7.0, will we have everything they're
> >>providing?  Maybe it's only necessary if you don't already have the
> >>basics you need.  Would someone who bought one like to comment on
> >>this?
>

> I have not purchased one myself, however, the software is free via
> FTP at apple.com.  I imagine that no special cable is involved, so one
> could theoretically purchase a generic cable and FTP the software
> to avoid having to buy the accessory package.  A good point was
> brought up about the warrenty though - would this approach void
> the warrenty?  Anybody know if a generic cable will work?

The adapter comes in the accessory kit, so it is required.  And no, I haven't put
a voltmeter on it to determine the correct voltage and polarity...

Seriously, there's a lot more in the accessory kit than disks and manuals...

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:     G.AUSTIN3                | AOnline:   GAustin                    |