[comp.sys.mac.hardware] printing a PS file

marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) (05/09/91)

Let's say I've gotten a postscript file from anywhere.  Or I created
one by hitting command-K in the print dialog box, or by using the new
laserwriter driver that has the create postscript file option.

OK, now how do I print the damn thing?  Do I use LaserWriter Font
Utility to download the file to my Personal LW NT?  I think I remember
trying that once, and nothing happened.  But I could be wrong....

Thanks for any help.

Mark Rosen
marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/10/91)

In article <May.8.19.12.05.1991.8246@elbereth.rutgers.edu> marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) writes:
> Let's say I've gotten a postscript file from anywhere.  Or I created
> one by hitting command-K in the print dialog box, or by using the new
> laserwriter driver that has the create postscript file option.

Be aware that there are actually _two_ types of postscirpt files available
from the postscript driver.  You can do command-F or command-K.  I don't
recall which at the moment, but one key combination creates a postscirpt
file with the postscript header, the other without the header.  The PS
file without the header cannot be printed unless the header has been
downloaded into the printer first.  The option to delete the header is for
efficiency when printing multiple files.

> OK, now how do I print the damn thing?  Do I use LaserWriter Font
> Utility to download the file to my Personal LW NT?  I think I remember
> trying that once, and nothing happened.

If you want to print the file from a mac to a laser printer, you need
to latch onto a utility called SendPS.  Look for version 2.x.  This
tool downloads PS files into a laser printer for printing.

Some people spool the postscript files to UNIX or VAX for printing,
some demented people like to hack on the files for special effects before
printing, you can try using the PS files as EPS files for including in
publishing programs or TeX files.  You can even send the PS files to an
output service to have get Lino output or slides.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john

kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) (05/12/91)

In article <820@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>Some people spool the postscript files to UNIX or VAX for printing,
>some demented people like to hack on the files for special effects before
>printing,

Call me demented; it's the only free way I know to get the Mac to give you the
cute little characters that live in most fonts but aren't accessible from the
keyboard because they aren't in the Mac 256-character set.  I don't mean just
exotic accents and diacritical marks.  I mean things like the characters for
1/2, 1/4 and 3/4.  It's an easy "hack;" just a matter of a substitution or two.
And it can be done on the Mac, or after uploading to a unix or vax machine.
(Almost as easy is changing the underline weight and position; in a few fonts it
is really terrible otherwise.  Anything harder than that, though, is suicide
for a postscript ignoramous like me.)

I don't know if anybody is interested in this, though.  If you are, I am happy
to give you more details.

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu