[fa.info-vax] Command Procs, files, & DECnet

info-vax (12/31/82)

>From SFH@CMU-CS-C  Fri Dec 31 04:43:36 1982
To: Info-Vax@SRI-CSL
Remailed-Date: 30 Dec 1982 2320-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

Is there any way to use the DCL open/write/close statements to produce a
file suitable for transfer to a DECsystem-20.  I've tried and wind up with
a print format file, which is not acceptable for transfer to a DECsystem-20.
Alternately, I would be happey to create the file via DECnet instead o first
creating it then copying it.
					Steve
   --------

info-vax (02/28/83)

>From GEOFF@SRI-CSL  Sun Feb 27 18:20:44 1983
To: SFH@CMU-CS-C
Cc: info-vax@MIT-MC
Remailed-Date: 27 Feb 1983 0857-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL.ARPA: ;

I can see no logical way to use open/write/close statements alone and short of
writting a program which obviously could prepare an appropriate file do not
understand what you mean by creating the file via DECnet?  According to the
DECnet-VAX Cross Systems Guide CREATE ought to work over DECnet to a DECnet-20
node and produce a Stream format version of the input data.  If you must use
DCL and do not need dynamic access then either of:

	OPEN/WRITE dcl dcl.dat		OPEN/WRITE dcl dcl.dat
	WRITE dcl			WRITE dcl
	CLOSE dcl			CLOSE dcl
	CREATE junk.TXT			CONVERT/FDL=STM.FDL DCL.DAT DCL.OUT
	^Z				(With an appropriate FDLfile.)
	APPEND dcl.dat junk.txt
	COPY junk.txt TOP_20_NODE::...	COPY dcl.out TOP_20_NODE::...

should move the file.

-------