[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Locked folders under Multifinder

barvian@ece.cmu.edu (Scott Barvian) (05/01/91)

I have been having a problem that is similar to the "Folder From Hell"
problem.  The best way to describe it is with an example:

Suppose I download a program that, after unstuffing, puts the application/init
or whatever and a TeachText doc file in its own folder.  I then open the
doc file, browse it, close the file (but not quit TeachText) and decide to
trash the whole folder.  When I try to empty the trash, I get the message

The Trash couldn't be emptied (a file was busy or a folder was not empty).

and the (now empty folder) reappears.  Repeated attempts to trash the folder
do no good.

I can't delete the folder until after I quit TeachText.  So it looks like the
application "locks" the folder somehow.

So, I trained myself to always Quit TeachText whenever I use it.  But another
joy of Multifinder is to keep DAs open in the background, which I've started
to do lately.  I find that I have the "locked folder" problem until I quit
all DA's (even if a DA had nothing to do with the folder/file).

Hopefully this is a long question with a short answer.  Is it system/finder
related?  I'm using 6.0.5 on a Plus.

--
==== Scott Barvian ============ Department of Electrical/Computer Eng. ===
==== barvian@ece.cmu.edu ====== Carnegie Mellon Univ., Pittsburgh, PA  ===

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (05/02/91)

In article <BARVIAN.91May1125239@dart.ece.cmu.edu>, barvian@ece.cmu.edu (Scott Barvian) writes:
> I can't delete the folder until after I quit TeachText.  So it looks like the
> application "locks" the folder somehow.
>
> So, I trained myself to always Quit TeachText whenever I use it.  But another

This is due to the *wonderful* "working directory" concept Apple needed
to make the transition from flat to hierarchical file systems smoothly.
In essence, as long as the system is pointing to the folder it will
remain "locked".

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (05/06/91)

barvian@ece.cmu.edu (Scott Barvian) writes:

>I have been having a problem that is similar to the "Folder From Hell"
>problem.  The best way to describe it is with an example:

>Suppose I download a program that, after unstuffing, puts the application/init
>or whatever and a TeachText doc file in its own folder.  I then open the
>doc file, browse it, close the file (but not quit TeachText) and decide to
>trash the whole folder.  When I try to empty the trash, I get the message

>The Trash couldn't be emptied (a file was busy or a folder was not empty).

[etc...]

This is a valid problem...  If you have recently accessed a file from
a folder, you can't delete the folder.  Most applications have this
"feature."  It has something to do with the file pointers which the SF
dialog box keeps....  I'm not much of a Mac programmer, so I can't
give details, but I've noticed the problem and just live with it.
	-=Alan
   Who, me?  Nope, I didn't say that.  Must have been my evil twin
	   Who am I? aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu <Alan D.>
   Where am I? Brandeis University Box 3130 Waltham, MA 02254-9110

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (05/14/91)

In article <aland.673472027@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>, aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) writes:
> >The Trash couldn't be emptied (a file was busy or a folder was not empty).
>
> [etc...]
>
> This is a valid problem...  If you have recently accessed a file from
> a folder, you can't delete the folder.  Most applications have this
> "feature."  It has something to do with the file pointers which the SF
> dialog box keeps....  I'm not much of a Mac programmer, so I can't
> give details, but I've noticed the problem and just live with it.
> 	-=Alan

The same problem exists in UNIX when you attempt to unmount a device
that a user is current cd-ed to.