[comp.sys.mac.hardware] reusing paper in Laserwriter?

francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (04/18/91)

I have heard that running paper through a second time to use both
sides is a bad idea, in that some substance (maybe just the ink, maybe
something else) on the paper from a first run-through would leave a
residue on various rollers and such.  However, this is merely a vague
past memory; I can't point to any documentation of this.

I *can* say from experience that, unless you take great pains to make
sure that the recycled paper is put into the paper tray *just* so,
you'll have noticeably more frequent paper jams, due to slight
misalignments (rarer when putting in paper straight from the box).
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

hopper@empyrean.ucsd.edu (Steve Hopper) (04/18/91)

It seems the older lazerwriters and clones (talaris etc.) have
no problems with recycled paper.  We have lazerwriter II NTs
that will jam almost everytime using either recycled or xerox
paper!  Haven't noticed any problems with residue toner on
rollers etc.

Steve

>I have heard that running paper through a second time to use both
>sides is a bad idea, in that some substance (maybe just the ink, maybe
>something else) on the paper from a first run-through would leave a
>residue on various rollers and such.  However, this is merely a vague
>past memory; I can't point to any documentation of this.

>I *can* say from experience that, unless you take great pains to make
>sure that the recycled paper is put into the paper tray *just* so,
>you'll have noticeably more frequent paper jams, due to slight
>misalignments (rarer when putting in paper straight from the box).
>--
>R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) (04/19/91)

     I have a new QMS 410 printer, having previously had a Laserwriter.
Because I produce many "draft" documents before printing a final version,
and in order to be ecological (i.e., save a tree),
I have routinely reused paper
by printing on the backside of old documents.
I have never had any problems with this
procedure, either with paper jams or with ink on the rollers inside.
(My experience with the QMS is too recent to be a very
accurate indication of what would happen long term, however.)

     Is anyone aware of problems in double-sided printing, assuming that
you are careful to load the paper properly?  If not, I would like to
encourage others to reuse and recycle paper as much as possible.

chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) (04/19/91)

I have a vague recollection of the 'its not safe to reuse paper because
it will hurt the drum' story, but I thought it was a no no if you reused
it on the 'same' side ie print a digram in one run and then do labels on
the next etc.  This was meant to deposit old toner on the drum and cause
trouble.  I think it also applies to some photocopiers.
	That's all I rememeber.
					Michael.

\    Michael Antolovich in sunny North Queensland (where it's bloody hot!)    /
 \                         chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au                            /

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (05/14/91)

In article <CMM.0.90.2.671893750.rbaker@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
rbaker@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Robertnot Bob) writes:

> I was asked by one of our staff if it would hurt our laser printer if we
> reused paper in the machine (to print on the backside, or so I assumed;-)

The manual for my Personal LaserWriter NT explains how to feed the paper to
produce double sided output, so presumably it is OK to do that on that model
printer.