[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacIIx won't turn on!

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (05/11/91)

Suddenly my MacIIx won't turn on when I push the startup button
on the keyboard.  Switching keyboards with a working machine
doesn't help.  Anybody have any suggestions?

I have had intermittent problems of this sort before, but they
previously always went away if I pushed the start button enough
times.

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (05/12/91)

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:

>Suddenly my MacIIx won't turn on when I push the startup button
>on the keyboard.  Switching keyboards with a working machine
>doesn't help.  Anybody have any suggestions?

This used to happen to me on my II, and kept happening when that
same II became a IIfx, which pretty much exonerates the motherboard.

It went away when I stopped keeping my machine on its side.  Are
you using one of those vertical stands?
--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (05/12/91)

Yes, I am keeping my machine on its side, using a Kensington
stand.  How in the world could this affect the ADB turnon signal?
I'd hate to have the cpu take back all that desk real estate.
.

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (05/14/91)

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:

>Yes, I am keeping my machine on its side, using a Kensington
>stand.  How in the world could this affect the ADB turnon signal?
>I'd hate to have the cpu take back all that desk real estate.

   Laying any Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIfx on its side is dangerous!
This is because the hard disk is mounted with the read/write arm
mounted sideways.  This means that when you lay the Mac on its side
the read/write arm is forced to move against gravity.  This wears the
arm out quicker.  Apple can determine (I am told) that the wear has
been caused by incorrectly placing the box on its side and they will
not repair it under warrenty.

   However, if you own a Mac IIcx or a Mac IIci, you *can* lay the Mac
on its side.  This is stated in the manual.  However, you should do a
low level format in whatever position you place the Mac IIcx or IIci in
and leave it in that position.

   I found this out when I spoke to a helpful person at The MacZone.  I
wanted to purchase this Kensington stand and he said I should *not* buy
it (it was for a Mac IIfx) because it is not good on the machine!  He
didn't make a sale, but he made himself a very happy customer.  I also
want to say that the Apple dealer told me that I *could* mount that very
same IIfx on its side with no problem and they told me the part was made
by Kensington!

   To answer the above question, it has nothing to do with the ADB signal
it has to do with you hard disk and graivty (and possibly wearing out
your hard disk)!

                          Hope this helps.

                             -- Pat --

      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \
   +-----------------------------+------------------------------------------+

DON.NOLL@p3425.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (DON NOLL) (05/14/91)

    Laying any Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIfx on its side is dangerous!
PH> This is because the hard disk is mounted with the read/write arm
PH> mounted sideways.  This means that when you lay the Mac on its side
PH> the read/write arm is forced to move against gravity.  This wears the
PH> arm out quicker.  Apple can determine (I am told) that the wear has
PH> been caused by incorrectly placing the box on its side and they will
PH> not repair it under warrenty.

Uh Patrick, how will Apple tell if you had your machine on the side?
First of all, Apple Dealers who do warrantee repairs don't care, if it does not work they will fix it.  Also Apple does not open the HD if they are broken, they ship them off to get reconditioned or they trash them.  Whoever TOLD you was wrong.
 * Origin: Don's Point, Get it? (1:109/421.3425)