[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Is my mac about to die?

hayward@husc3.harvard.edu (05/09/91)

Hey folks,
	I hope that I don't have a serious problem here, but I think that I
may. The screen on my mac+ has been acting a little funny ( or mabey not so).
The screen seems to be kind of "watery" it waves just a little kind of
"fluxes". Someone mentioned to me awhile ago that this could be a symptom of a
powersupply about to go. Is this true? If so what is my best course of action?
Can the supply be tested? And how much would a new powersupply cost? I've got a
mac+ with 2meg. ram and a "MaxPlus" ram saver inside the box. I appreciate any
mail on this matter. Thanks.

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May9.023742.915@husc3.harvard.edu> hayward@husc3.harvard.edu writes:
>Hey folks,
>	I hope that I don't have a serious problem here, but I think that I
>may. The screen on my mac+ has been acting a little funny ( or mabey not so).
>The screen seems to be kind of "watery" it waves just a little kind of
>"fluxes". Someone mentioned to me awhile ago that this could be a symptom of a
>powersupply about to go. Is this true? If so what is my best course of action?
>Can the supply be tested? And how much would a new powersupply cost? I've got a
>mac+ with 2meg. ram and a "MaxPlus" ram saver inside the box. I appreciate any
>mail on this matter. Thanks.

Call your favorite bookstore and order a copy of "Larry Pina's Macintosh
Repair and Upgrade Secrets"  I had the same problem you did for about a
year, the waving getting worse and worse.  When it finally died (real
smoke coming out of the top)  I got this book, got a techie friend to
help, and replaced one (1) $5 capacitor.  Done.

True, the book was apx $35 (american), but now I have it for next time
(or to loan (rent?) to friends)!

Good Luck!
Jann VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com